WCC NEWS: Georgia/South Ossetia: insights from the ground

  • Rev Fr John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2008
      World Council of Churches - News Release
      Contact: +41 22 791 6153 +41 79 507 6363 media@... For immediate
      release - 05/09/2008 11:04:03

      AFTER A 4,000 KM DETOUR, ECUMENICAL DELEGATION TO REACH SOUTH OSSETIA

      A pastoral delegation sent by the World Council of Churches
      (WCC) to Georgia and Russia has not been able to visit South Ossetia from
      the Georgian side of the ceasefire line. Unable to make the half-hour drive
      to Tskhinvali from within Georgia, they are now traveling thousands of
      kilometers to reach the enclave from the Russian side instead.

      The ecumenical delegation could not get a guarantee of safe passage from the
      authorities inside South Ossetia. The route should by now be a corridor for
      aid, but the humanitarian access stipulated by the ceasefire agreement in
      mid-August is apparently not being honored. Armed groups are accused of acts
      of violence in the area.

      Government and aid officials in Georgia told the WCC group that up to 7,000
      ethnic Georgians are still living in South Ossetia under uncertain
      conditions. Even the Red Cross has largely been denied access, they said,
      but the Georgian Orthodox Church has limited access to a few of them.

      Early in the war, with help from the Russian Orthodox Church, Georgian
      Orthodox Patriarch Ilia II secured permission to visit a bishop and a few
      priests and nuns who have stayed in South Ossetia. Since then the church has
      brought in food and brought out Georgian casualties that were still lying
      unburied several days after the war.

      "We want to express our immense gratitude that you have come in the
      difficult situation Georgia is facing now," the Georgian Patriarch told the
      WCC delegation.

      "Be assured we are with you at this difficult time," said Archbishop Nifon
      of Targoviste, Romania, the delegation head.
      "We have been following the situation in your country with great sorrow,"
      said Rev. Jean-Arnold de Clermont, president of the Conference of European
      Churches. "At the same time, we are greatly impressed by your visit to South
      Ossetia and by the public declarations in favor of peace by the two
      patriarchates of Russia and Georgia."

      "Russia is our neighbour and we should have good relations with it," Ilia
      noted.

      In Georgia the WCC delegation also met Armenian Orthodox and Baptist
      leaders, a member of parliament and a government minister responsible for
      refugees, the country's public defender, member agencies of Action by
      Churches Together (ACT) International and displaced people living in camps
      and schools.

      Humanitarian situation

      About two-thirds of the 150,000 people displaced into Georgia by the
      conflict have now returned to their homes. Most of the nearly 50,000 still
      displaced are housed in school buildings. Even as more durable solutions
      become urgent, ACT member agencies and local church aid workers told the WCC
      delegation of many gaps in meeting immediate needs.

      "With schools in Georgia scheduled to open in one week, the people we met do
      not know what will happen next," said Rev.
      Laszlo Lehel, director of Hungarian Inter-Church Aid and representing ACT on
      the delegation. Some 26,000 of these people are from South Ossetia, with
      little immediate prospect of returning home.

      Lia Gogitze, a woman from South Ossetia living in a Tbilisi school, told the
      delegation, "We lived so well there with our orchards and livestock. It was
      like a small paradise. Here we share one cup." Satellite photos show her
      village, Kemerti, as one of dozens of communities in the enclave heavily
      damaged by fire in the days since the major fighting ceased.

      To visit the enclave the delegation is making a 4,000-kilometer detour via
      Moscow and North Ossetia. When they reach the South Ossetian capital,
      Tskhinvali, they will be just 40 kilometers from where they were on their
      first day in Georgia.

      In South Ossetia the ecumenical visitors will meet with church leaders,
      local officials and the recently displaced residents who have now mostly
      returned from North Ossetia. Also of concern are the ethnic Georgian
      residents still thought to be in the enclave after weeks of violence and
      many reports of looting, arson and forced evictions.

      The trip will end in Moscow with visits to the Russian Orthodox Church and
      the government. In addition to Nifon, de Clermont and Lehel, the delegation
      includes Rev. Elenora Giddings-Ivory and Mr. Jonathan Frerichs from the WCC
      secretariat in Geneva.

      Media contact in Georgia/Russia: +41-79-814-5637

      More information on the visit:
      http://www.oikoumene.org/en/news/news-management/eng/a/article/1722/wcc-dele
      gation-visits-ge.html

      Action by Churches Together response to the conflict:
      http://act-intl.org/appeals/appeals_2008/UpCaucasus-1-08.html

      Additional information:Juan Michel,+41 22 791 6153 +41 79 507
      6363media@...

      The World Council of Churches promotes Christian unity in faith, witness and
      service for a just and peaceful world. An ecumenical fellowship of churches
      founded in 1948, today the WCC brings together 349 Protestant, Orthodox,
      Anglican and other churches representing more than 560 million Christians in
      over 110 countries, and works cooperatively with the Roman Catholic Church.
      The WCC general secretary is Rev. Dr Samuel Kobia, from the Methodist Church
      in Kenya. Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.