Prayer Service at St. Sophia for Independence Day

  • petro_melnyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2008
      Religious and Civil Leaders Pray at St. Sophia's on Ukrainian
      Independence Day
      01.09.2008, [08:00] // Church-state relations //

      Kyiv— Political leaders including Ukrainian President Viktor
      Yushchenko and representatives of the All-Ukrainian Council of
      Churches and Religious Organizations took part in the prayer for
      Ukraine and the Ukrainian people that was held on 24 August 2008 in
      St. Sophia's Cathedral in Kyiv on Ukrainian Independence Day. The
      prayers began with a litany of intentions celebrated by ministers of
      the Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Kyivan Patriarchate.

      Also participating in the ceremony were representatives of the
      Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Moscow Patriarchate, Ukrainian
      Autocephalous Orthodox Church, Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, Roman
      Catholic Church, the Evangelical-Pentecostals, Armenian Apostolic
      Church, the chief rabbi of Ukraine, and the Muslims of Ukraine.

      During the speeches of the religious leaders, Yushchenko and his
      family, the premier, head of Parliament, and other political leaders
      lit candles before the cathedral's icon-screen.

      During his speech later that day, Yushchenko said: "For the first
      time in hundreds of years we have renewed the processes for the
      spiritual uniting of our people and the creation of its national
      [pomisna] church. We will travel this historic path with wisdom and
      in harmony... This is already a reality. It is correct, for it renews
      the whole fullness of our historical and national justice... No one
      will ever decide for us in what language to communicate and in what
      church to pray. No one will ever show us which way to choose."

      Yushchenko in 2005 started the tradition of beginning the celebration
      of Ukrainian Independence Day with a joint prayer service for Ukraine
      and the Ukrainian people.

      http://www.risu.org.ua/eng/news/article;24299/