Russian scientists criticizes Bartholomew I for misinterpretation of historical facts

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2 3:55 PM

      01 August 2008, 16:15
      Russian scientists criticizes Bartholomew I for misinterpretation of
      historical facts related to the Ukrainian church question

      Moscow, August 1, Interfax - Russian historians point out to the
      number of mistakes and up-to-the-minute historical interpretations in
      the address of Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople to the
      Ukrainian nation during the celebrations of the 1020th anniversary of
      Russia's Baptism.

      Speaking in Kiev, the Constantinople Patriarch "informed" all the
      present that the Ukrainian Church had subordinated to the Moscow
      Patriarchate under Peter-the-Great pressure. However, Russian
      historians reminded that future Emperor Peter played at soldiers then
      while Ukraine had united with Russia thirty years earlier on Ukraine's request.

      According to deputy director of the Institute of Russian history
      Vladimir Lavrov, any "annexation" is out of question.

      "We were one state, but due to outside influence a part of our
      country fell within the borders of the Polish Lithuanian state in
      feudal times. Ukrainians as a minority were subjected to national and
      religious pressure. They strived to unite with Orthodox state and
      asked to take them "under Moscow tsar for times everlasting," and
      Moscow reflected if it was necessary," Lavrov said to an
      Interfax-Religion correspondent.

      Professor of the Moscow Theological Academy and head of the Church
      history department Alexey Svetozarsky said Patriarch Bartholomew's
      statement was "rather superficial and dictated by momentary situation
      rather than a wish to study history of the Kiev Metropolia."