Moldavian bishop believes "Bessarabian Metropolia" to be Bucharest political project abroad

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2008

      04 July 2008, 17:50
      Moldavian bishop believes "Bessarabian Metropolia" to be Bucharest
      political project abroad

      Moscow, July 4, Interfax - The Romanian Patriarchate's interference
      in Moldavian church life reflects political will of Bucharest
      politicians dreaming of "Great Romania," Bishop Markell of Beltsy and
      Falesht believes.

      "It (activity of "the Bessarabian Metropolia" in Moldavia - IF) is
      only Bucharest's political order executed by the Synod, hierarchs and
      priests of the Romanian Church," Bishop Markell stated in his
      interview to Interfax-Religion.

      He reminds that the Romanian Orthodox Church is a state Church and
      its priests receive their salary from the authorities and "thus they
      become the bearers of the modern Romanian state policy on the
      territory of Moldova" and execute its political order.

      "The Romanian state has spared no effort to attach Moldavia to
      Romania," the interviewee of the agency said.

      Meanwhile, according to him, "the Moldavian people in its
      overwhelming majority don't want it."

      "Moldova wants nothing of Romania, only to leave us alone. It will be
      the most welcome and wanted gift from Romania. Leave us alone - we
      don't want anything else. We have our Patriarch and we've been
      faithful to him for long centuries," the bishop said.

      According to him, if the Orthodox Church in Moldavia "leaves the
      Moscow Patriarchate, the Romanian Patriarchate will take it in a
      night without even asking priests and hierarchs."

      "That's why we count only on the Russian Orthodox Church and prayers
      of all her faithful children."