Russian priest calls "shameless" the intent of Bartholomew I to visit Ukraine without invitation of Alexy II

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2008

      04 July 2008, 15:46
      Russian priest calls "shameless" the intent of Bartholomew I to visit
      Ukraine without invitation of Alexy II

      Moscow, July 4, Interfax - The intent of Ecumenical Patriarch
      Bartholomew of Constantinople to visit Ukraine without prior consent
      of Patriarch Alexy II shows his full disregard of the Russian Church,
      Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov, head of the Moscow Patriarchate
      Department for Relations with the Armed Forces, says.

      "Such attitude of Constantinople patriarchs to canons, history, and
      this country is shameless. Nothing can explain it to Russians. May be
      it is some inner irritation which drowns historical gratitude which
      they should feel," Fr. Dimitry said Friday to Interfax-Religion.

      "We feel completely ignored - there is no canons, no Russian
      Patriarch, and no Russian Church," Fr. Dimitry said.

      This is how he commented the intent of Bartholomew I to attend the
      celebration of 1020th anniversary of Baptism of Russia in Ukraine by
      the invitation of Victor Yushenko but without the relevant invitation
      by Alexy II.

      According to Fr. Dimitry, this invitation of Bartholomew I to Ukraine
      and attempts to establish the independent of Moscow Orthodox Church
      in this country were the "result of consultations by Yushchenko's
      allies who helped him to come to power and hold it."

      "This is one segment of the global politics which is aimed at making
      troubles for Russia," Fr. Dimitry said.

      Commenting prior statements and actions of some members of
      Constantinople Patriarchate aimed at supporting the Ukrainian church
      separatists, Fr. Dimitry said, "The fact that the American Ambassador
      in Ukraine was prohibited to go to Moscow Patriarchate churches,
      proves that the USA Administration has direct relation to all the
      above. It is quite evident, who they support."

      According to Fr. Dimitry, "the Constantinople Church and the Ellada
      Church owe to tens of thousands Russian people who gave their lives
      for the freedom and independence of Greeks."

      "Therefore, this dislike to Russians and Russia which we now feel
      from Greeks (Greeks are a majority of believers and clergy of the
      Constantinople Church - IF) is very regrettable."

      According to Fr. Dimitry, the existence of ancient Greek
      Patriarchates has for centuries "depended on the Russian empire." "If
      we come to Greek Athos, we see Russian icons and Russian chandeliers.
      The Simonopetra Monastery restoration was paid by Russian money," Fr.
      Dimitry said.