+Herman invited to celebration of 1020th Anniversary of the Baptism of Rus'

  • Nina_Dimas_42
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2008
      http://www.oca.org/NewsPrintable.asp?ID=1578

      Metropolitan Herman invited to celebration of 1020th Anniversary of
      the Baptism of Rus'

      Article posted: 7/2/2008 5:29 PM

      SYOSSET, NY [OCA Communication] -- In a recent letter, His Holiness,
      Patriarch Aleksy of Moscow and All Russia, invited His Beatitude,
      Metropolitan Herman, Primate of the Orthodox Church in America, to
      take part in celebrations marking the 1020th anniversary of the
      Baptism of Rus' slated to take place in Kyiv, Ukraine, on July 28,
      2008.

      "We cordially greet you and wish you good health and God's help in
      your primatial ministry," Patriarch Aleksy wrote. "We would be glad
      to see representatives of Your Beatitude among the guests at the
      solemnities. Herewith we ask you to send a delegation of your Most
      Holy Church to take part in the celebrations."

      Metropolitan Herman also received a letter of invitation to the
      celebration from Ukrainian President Victor Yuschenko. In his letter,
      President Yuschenko said that "the great epoch of the growth of
      Christianity throughout the lands of Holy Rus' had its beginning in
      the holy city of Kyiv." The Ukrainian President referred to the
      anniversary as a "celebration of Orthodoxy."

      On June 28, 2008, anniversary celebrations opened with services in
      the Moscow Kremlin's Dormition Cathedral.

      The day of the celebration in Ukraine, July 28, coincides with the
      Julian Calendar feast day of Saint Vladimir, Equal-to-the-Apostles.