US, Russian Orthodox church clerics hold joint service in New York

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2008
      http://www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2.html?NewsID=12643452&PageNum=0

      US, Russian Orthodox church clerics hold joint service in New York

      03.05.2008, 23.15

      NEW YORK, May 3 (Itar-Tass) - U.S. and Russian Orthodox Church
      clerics held a joint service at New York's St. Nicholas Cathedral on Saturday.

      The service was led by the head of the Patriarchal parishes in the
      United States, Bishop Mercurius of Zaraisk, and the Secretary of the
      Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church, Bishop Gabriel of Manhattan.

      The miracle-working Kursk-Korennaya Icon of the Sign was brought to
      the cathedral before the service. It was used during a religious
      procession after the service.

      Joint Easter services have never been held at the St. Nicholas
      Cathedral before. The service involved over 60 clerics and hundreds
      of Orthodox believers.

      For the first time, the Kursk-Korennaya Icon of the Sign, which is
      considered to be the guardian of the Russians abroad and a pearl of
      Russian cultural heritage, was used during the service, the secretary
      of the manager of the Patriarchal parishes in the United States,
      hegumen Josef said.

      The head of the Patriarchal parishes in the United States, Bishop
      Mercurius of Zaraisk said the joint religious service of U.S. and
      Russian Orthodox priests on Saturday was a sign of unity within the
      Russian Orthodox Church.

      On Friday, the bishop told journalists that "not even a year has
      passed since the act restoring the unity of canonical unity within
      the Russian Orthodox Church was signed, and tomorrow's service will
      become a sign of this unity."

      "We will hold the divine service together. The Kursk-Korennaya Icon
      of the Sign will be brought to the cathedral. Hierarchs, the clergy
      and believers will pray together, and we hope that God will bless us
      when our procession moves along the streets of New York," Marcurius said.

      He said the upcoming service was especially important because it will
      take place "during Easter celebrations and Easter joy".

      "New York is a significant city both for the Russian Orthodox Church
      abroad and the Moscow Patriarchate because it the Patriarchal
      Cathedral and the Synodical Church of the Holy Sign are located here.
      And it is particularly important that we will all come together at
      the St. Nicholas Patriarchal Cathedral," the bishop said.