Invitation to Join New YahooGroup - OrthodoxAmerica

  • Archpriest Symeon Elias
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2008
      I would like to extend to all an invitation to join a new list. The
      goal in short of American Orthodoxy is to explore the means of true
      Orthodox Evangelism in the U.S.

      Go to the Yahoo Groups, search "AmericanOrthodoxy" and join.

      Here are the goals of "AmericanOrthodoxy":
      Father Alexander Schmemman, an articulate observer of the broken
      state of Eastern Orthodoxy, and pan-Christianity in the world, wrote
      cogently about the handicap of the old Patriarchates in this age and
      the near void of true Orthodox Evangelism in the New World. He
      advocated for the establishment of a truly "American Orthodox Church"
      yet saw it as an extension of Russian culturalism, though he
      criticized the same. The dichotomy for him was his sincere belief
      that American culture and Orthodoxy were totally incompatible. Yet
      we have the witness of Saint Irenaeus, writing a mere one-hundred and
      fifty years after Jesus' crucifixion, saying: "It is within the power
      of all, therefore, in every church, who may wish to see the truth, to
      contemplate clearly the tradition of the apostles manifested
      throughout the whole world." St Irenaeus further said, "For although
      the languages of the world are different, yet the import of the
      Tradition is one and the same. For the churches which have been
      planted in Germany do not believe or hand down anything different,
      nor do those in Spain, nor those in Gaul."

      Here the Bishop of Lyons (France) writes inside the reality of the
      Pagan Roman Empire; a culture that was no less foreign to Orthodoxy
      than our own.

      I am an American convert to Orthodoxy and an Archpriest in the
      Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Kievan Patriarchate. I wish to create
      with you a friendly place for:
      (1) The discussion of the reality of Christ in the Eucharist
      (2) The need to "battle for the Eucharist."
      (3) The establishment of Orthodoxy in the New World with New
      World realities.
      (4) The exploration of the foundations of Orthodoxy, what is
      big "T" Tradition and what is mere small "t" tradition or custom.

      All are welcome for honest discussion.
      Kind Regards
      Archpriest Symeon Elias