Nazareth celebrates Annunciation
07 April 2008, 18:17
Nazareth celebrates Annunciation with a crowded
procession with cross to the strains of Scottish bagpipe and Soviet tunes
Nazareth, April 7, Interfax The Annunciation
was celebrated in Archangel Gabriels Church,
which is the only Orthodox church in the Israeli
city of Nazareth. Arabian scouts participated in
the divine service celebrated in four languages
and in the procession with cross.
The Interfax-Religion correspondent reported that
celebrations culminated in a bright and unusual
procession with cross along the neighboring
streets. About 200 scouts headed the procession
and played Scottish bagpipes. Clergymen with
Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem followed them.
From 1917 to 1948 Palestine was the Great
Britains mandate and it influenced not only its
architecture. For instance, the British introduced the scout movement here.
It is also notable that scouts played Soviet
tunes among others, for instance, a famous Red
Army song Polushko-Pole. The local guide
explained Interfax that it is a result of
Communist influence actively promoted in 1950-s among local Arab population.
Before the procession with cross, Patriarch
Theophilos celebrated the Divine Liturgy in the
church. The service was celebrated in four
languages: the Russian, the Arab, the Greek, and
the Romanian and was attended by several
thousands of believers including local residents
and pilgrims from Russia, Ukraine, Byelorussia,
Serbia, Romania and other countries. The
delegation of St. Andrew Foundation made a significant part of them.
The main shrine of church is its spring.
According to local tradition, it was here that
Archangel Gabriel came to the Holy Virgin and
announced the Nativity of the Savior.