Same thieves who stole Queens church bell apparently stole two others

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2008
      http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2008/04/04/2008-04-04_same_thieves_who_stole_queens_church_bel-1.html

      Same thieves who stole Queens church bell apparently stole two others

      BY BRENDAN BROSH
      DAILY NEWS WRITER

      Friday, April 4th 2008, 4:00 AM

      The same hooligans who stole a 650-pound bronze bell from a Queens
      church apparently swiped two other bells from another house of
      worship on the same night.

      A pair of 250-pound bronze bells were taken late Saturday from St.
      John Chrysostom Church - only a few blocks away from Blessed Virgin
      Mary's Help of Christians Church in Woodside where the larger bell was stolen.

      Parishioners at the Orthodox Church fear the bells will be sold off
      as scrap metal.

      "We are praying to God that they are returned," said Lillya Dedes,
      president of St. John's Chrysostom Church.

      The bells, which were imported from Greece, were secured in a tower
      close to the ground.

      "Those bells were donated in memory of my grandmother and
      grandfather," said Darren Brennan, 29, who has been a parishioner at
      the church his entire life. "I don't know how anyone could steal from
      a church."

      Brennan said the bells were still in place when he drove by the
      church about 6:30 p.m. Saturday. They were gone Sunday.

      "We thought they were safe, and no one would take them," said
      Brennan's older brother Craig. "Someone probably stole them for the metal."

      Bronze sells for roughly $1.90 a pound at city scrap yards.

      The Orthodox Church is in the middle of its Lenten season and
      preparing to observe Easter in a few weeks.

      The bell taken from the Blessed Virgin Mary's Help of Christians
      Church was on display outside the house of worship while the parish
      prepared to move it to a garden.