MC Statement to Synod re: crisis in Diocese of Alaska

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2008
      Statement of the Metropolitan Council to the OCA Holy Synod concerning
      the crisis in the Diocese of Alaska

      Article posted: 4/2/2008 7:08 PM
      Printer Friendly Format

      Statement of the Metropolitan Council to the OCA Holy Synod concerning
      the crisis in the Diocese of Alaska

      SYOSSET, NY [OCA Communications] -- At its spring meeting, March 31 to
      April 2, 2008, the Metropolitan Council unanimously approved the
      following statement to the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church in
      America concerning the crisis in the Diocese of Alaska.

      "After long and heartfelt discussion during our meeting March 31 to
      April 2, 2008, the Metropolitan Council recognizes that the current
      crisis in Alaska is a source of paralyzing dysfunction in our whole
      Church. This problem requires careful investigation and consideration
      of fact, and we fully understand that the competency to take such
      action rests with the Holy Synod, to bring it to a decisive outcome
      without delay.

      "Taking account of the anxieties, fears and pain of the Orthodox
      faithful of Alaska, and the deep concern expressed by all the faithful
      of the Orthodox Church in America, the Metropolitan Council is
      profoundly disappointed by the Holy Synod's decision to lift the leave
      of absence of His Grace, Bishop Nikolai before a proper solution has
      been determined, and respectfully asks our hierarchs - in faith, hope
      and love - to immediately reverse this decision."

      http://www.oca.org/news.asp?ID=1513&SID=19