Cyprus: Church Persists To Intervene With Political Affairs

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2008
      http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=223624

      Church Persists To Intervene With Political Affairs
      Published: 4/2/2008

      The Archbishop of the Greek Cypriot Orthodox Church Hrisostomos II
      stated, "No one contains the right to prevent the Church from
      expressing its views with regard to the Cyprus problem. Whether or
      not it benefits certain individuals, I will continue to express my
      views for the benefit of the nation."

      Hrisostomos made the following announcement:

      "We will always speak of our realities; we will speak of them for the
      benefit of our country. Whether our opinions are approved or not by
      certain people is not our concern. In the 2 thousand years of its
      existence, when national governments did not prevail, our church was
      the fortitude of our people during times of slavery and provided
      support and in most circumstances comforted with motherly identity.
      The church is persistent in continuing with this mission and no one
      can remove this right.

      The parliamentary group spokesperson for AKEL Nikos Katsuridis
      criticised Greek Cypriot Orthodox Church Archbishop Hrisostomos II
      the day before by making the statement, "Whenever a small step is
      achieved in the Cyprus problem, the Archbishop expresses an argument
      adding that the opening of Ledra is supposedly not a good thing."