MECC 's Condolences Message on Death of Archbishop Christodoulos

  • Rev Fr John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2008
      Greek Orthodox Archbishop Christodoulos, head of the Greek Orthodox Church
      of Athens & All Greece passed away on the 29th of January at the age of 69.
      MECC General Secretary sent the following message of condolences:

      THE HOLY SYNOD
      CHURCH OF GREECE
      And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first
      earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I saw the holy city,
      new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, made ready as a bride
      adorned for her husbandÅ  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes;
      and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall
      there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. (Rev.21:1-4)

      It is with great sorrow and grief that I learned of the death of His
      Beatitude Archbishop Christodoulos of Athens. The Archbishop passing is a
      great loss for Greece, for the Orthodox community and for humanity as a
      whole. During his long and intense life of service, both as a spiritual
      leader, the Archbishop demonstrated a unique and inspiring moral authority
      to the world.

      I had the enormous privilege of knowing this great figure. As a Christian, I
      have been profoundly moved and touched by his faith, by his love for all,
      and by his deep capacity for forgiveness. His Beatitude Archbishop
      Christodoulos wielded enormous influence during his tenure as head of the
      country's dominant religious group, advocates for the dialogue of love
      between the Church of Greece and the Church of Rome, and brought new vigor
      to the Orthodox faith in Greece. His disappearance leaves a void in the
      hearts of all those, believers and non believers, who have been inspired by
      his example of courage and humanity.

      In the name of the Presidents of the Middle East Council of Churches, its
      Executive Committee members, and me personally, we offer our heartfelt
      condolences to the Church of Greece and others around the world that have
      been touched and inspired by his life. We will remember him as a man of
      great courage and humility, as well as leader of the ecumenical movement and
      servant of peace and justice.
      We pray God, to receive him into his everlasting kingdom.

      In Christ,
      Guirguis Ibrahim Saleh
      General Secretary
      The Middle East Council of Churches (MECC)

      Middle East Council of Churches
      Office of International Ecumenical Relations P.O. Box 5376, Beirut, Lebanon

      Guirgis Ibrahim Saleh, General Secretary mecc@... or
      guirgissaleh@...

      +961-1-353-938
      http://www.mec-churches.org/