Patriarch Alexy Message to Taizé Participants

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2008
      Europaica 135

      Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia:
      Message to the Participants of the 30th Meeting of Taizé in Geneva

      Dear brothers and sisters,

      I greet from the heart all of you who are
      together for the thirtieth annual young adult
      meeting that is taking place in Geneva this year.

      Each year, the Taizé Community brings together
      young Christians of Europe, making them one in
      prayer and offering different topics for their
      reflection. For you young people, most of the
      questions regarding life are both new and urgent.
      This is inevitable when one is at the beginning
      of one's life. When one lacks experience, it is
      easy to lose one's way while searching for answers.

      But you Christians have an enormous advantage. It
      is in the spring of "living water" (John 7:38),
      in the enormous wealth that is the heritage of
      the Church, towards which you can always turn
      when you are spiritually thirsty. In no way does
      this take the place of the search for truth which
      is characteristic of youth and which is expressed
      in the way the apostle indicates: "Test
      everything. Hold on to what is good. Keep from
      evil in all its forms" (1 Thessalonians 5:21-22).
      And yet Christian life has a particular value
      because it provides an orientation to our
      seeking; it gives it a meaning; it helps us to
      avoid errors that could be impossible to rectify.

      The help on which a young Christian can always
      count does not only come from the experience of
      previous generations, the advice of those who are
      older, but it lies in the living bond with God,
      who "is the same yesterday, today and forever"
      (Hebrews 13:8) and who is always ready to give a
      liberating answer to all the most complex and
      vital questions, even those which could seem to have no solution.

      My wish is that all your roads, all your
      searching and all your hopes may be directed
      towards the source of all good things, towards
      God. Remember that "whoever believes in Him will
      not be put to shame" (Romans 10:11).

      With love in Christ.

      Source: Taizé community