Montenegro: Rival Churches send Christmas messages

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2008
      http://www.b92.net/eng/news/region-article.php?yyyy=2008&mm=01&dd=05&nav_id=46711

      B92 News Region Region
      Montenegro: Rival Churches send Christmas messages
      5 January 2008 | 18:06 | Source: Beta

      CETINJE -- The Serbian Orthodox Church in Montenegro and the
      Montenegrin Orthodox Church today sent Christmas greetings.

      Both churches will hold their central Christmas Eve festivities in Cetinje.

      In his Christmas message, Head of the Serbian Orthodox Church in
      Montenegro Amfilohije said that "there is no light without eyesight,
      nor a true celebration with Christmas."

      Head of the Montenegrin Orthodox Church (CPC) Mihailo sent blessings
      and wishes for the prosperity of the people and the state.

      "God the Almighty wanted us to have our own state, but in her,
      because of the authorities, we still don't have a free CPC. The Lord
      sees and hears everything and knows of our difficult position and the
      great humiliation of our people who are suffering injustice and
      sending prayers to Christ the Saviour to return them their dignity,"
      said Mihailo and called on the people for reconciliation.

      On Christmas Eve, Amfilohije will organize the traditional laying of
      Yule logs in front of the Cetinje monastery at 3 p.m. The CPC will
      conduct their ceremony in front of the Courtyard of King Nikola at
      the same time.

      Both churches will organize similar ceremonies throughout Montenegro.