Do not Involve Us in PoliticsÂ’ - Georgian Orthodox Church

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2008
      http://www.civil.ge/eng/article.php?id=16739

      Do not Involve Us in Politics' - Georgian Orthodox Church
      / Civil Georgia, Tbilisi / 2008-01-03 15:45:05

      The Georgian Orthodox Church has condemned attempts to involve it in politics.

      The Church issued a statement in response to tycoon Badri
      Patarkatsishvili's claim on January 3 that he had been "given ... the
      power to declare" his intention to remain in the presidential race
      following a phone conversation with Patriarch of the Georgian
      Orthodox Church Ilia II.

      "Georgian media sources reported today a statement made by Mr. Badri
      Patarkatsishvili, in which he says that he is remaining in the
      presidential race. He also tried to insinuate that his decision was
      somehow related to his conversation with Patriarch of the Georgian
      Orthodox Church Ilia II," the Church's statement reads. "Except for
      congratulating the Patriarch on the 30th anniversary of his
      enthronement, no other issue was discussed. The Georgian Church
      expresses its regret that once again religion has been used in a
      political manner. It is absolutely unacceptable to portray the Church
      as a supporter of any political force, because the church always was
      and will be a force uniting the country, especially so today, when
      there is such political division."

      "We call on the opposition, all political forces, including the
      authorities, not to try to involve the Church in politics. For our
      part, we will always distance ourselves from such attempts."