    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2008
      http://yalibnan.com/site/archives/2008/01/archbishop_aoud.php

      Archbishop Aoude criticizes Aoun's ‘low standard morals’
      Wednesday, 2 January, 2008 @ 6:54 PM

      Beirut - Greek Orthodox Archbishop of Beirut
      Elias Aoudeh expressed aggravation over insulting
      religious leaders after MP Michel Aoun said
      Maronite Patriarch Nasrallah Sfeir does not represent public opinion.

      Aoudeh, in a sermon during New Year's mass
      Tuesday, criticized "low-standard morals" and "insulting" religious leaders.

      The Free Patriotic Movement leader on Monday said
      Sfeir represents the Church and not public opinion.

      The Patriarch, Aoun said, "is free to express his
      opinion regarding the political situation … but
      he does not decide our constitutional powers on behalf of us."

      He asked Sfeir to "clarify what is being said"
      about Bkirki's support for Premier Fouad Siniora's government.

      Sfeir, however, refrained on Tuesday from
      directly mentioning Lebanon's presidential crisis
      during his sermon. He rather focused on Pope
      Benedict XVI's appeal for world peace.

      Similarly National Liberal Party leader Dory
      Chamoun , blasted Aoun for attacking Sfeir saying :

      “The Maronites need to understand that this
      fellow ( Aoun) that claims the title of the
      Patriarch of the Christian Maronite politics ,
      has assumed too big a title for himself . We the
      Maronites are destroying our home by ourselves ,
      strictly because this fellow wants to achieve his
      personal goals at any expense . The political
      cover that Michel Aoun gave to Hezbollah
      empowered his party to attack the Lebanese state
      and this attack is facilitating the return of the Syrian influence in Lebanon.

      Sources: Naharnet , Ya Libnan