Saakashvili Praises Georgian Orthodox Church

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2007
      http://www.civil.ge/eng/article.php?id=16020

      Saakashvili Praises Georgian Orthodox Church

      Civil Georgia, Tbilisi / 2007-10-14 16:13:27

      President Saakashvili said the Georgian Orthodox Church was "a
      beacon" for and "the driving force" behind Georgia's future renewal
      and reunification.

      Saakashvili was speaking at a meeting with visiting Ecumenical
      Patriarch of Constantinople Bartholomew I on October 13. Bartholomew
      I is regarded as the spiritual leader of the world's Orthodox
      Christians, although he has no direct jurisdiction over the other
      patriarchs or the other autocephalous Orthodox Churches.

      "Our church is known not only for its loyalty towards the Orthodox
      faith, but also for its tolerance and very consistent policy of
      promoting European values," Saakashvili said.

      He also praised Patriarch of the Georgian Orthodox Church Ilia II.
      "Under his leadership the Orthodox Church has gained an extremely
      important role," the president said.

      "The fact that such an important delegation is now visiting Georgia
      demonstrates our Church's huge international reputation," he added.

      On October 14, Patriarch Illia II and Patriarch of Constantinople
      Bartholomew I jointly officiated at the Svetitskhoveli cathedral
      outside Tbilisi. President Saakashvili and other top level officials
      were in attendance.