OCANews:...Archbishop Job Calls on Primate to Step Down

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2007
      http://www.ocanews.org/news/Job10207.html

      10.2.07 FOURTH IN A SERIES: The End of the Special Commission
      Expressing 'No Confidence'in Metropolitan's Leadership, Archbishop
      Job Calls on Primate to Step Down

      In an emotionally-charged opening address to the 46th Diocesan
      Assembly meeting today in Cleveland, Archbishop Job called on
      Metropolitan Herman to step down as a first hierarch of the Orthodox
      Church in America. Coming near the conclusion of the thirty minute
      review of the past year in the life of the Diocese and the OCA, the
      Archbishop stated:

      "Last year in Palatine I stated in my report to you:
      'As to the resignation of Metropolitan Herman, I do not want this to
      occur. I want him to solve the problems and put an end to the
      crisis, but with full involvement and assistance of the Holy Synod
      and the Metropolitan Council, as it should be.'

      My friends, my heart goes out to His Beatitude and I mean that
      sincerely. I cannot imagine the pressure he is under as he endures
      bad press, hurtful and sometimes insulting criticisms, and now an on-
      line petition for his resignation. I honestly wanted him to oversee
      a process for discovering the truth, making it known and devising a
      plan to restore integrity and confidence in the Central Church
      Administration. I hoped against hope for this to happen. But in
      reality, a year later, we are in worse shape than ever. And again,
      it promises only to get worse. Mistake after mistake, dysfunction
      upon dysfunction.

      I realize that I now place myself in a most vulnerable position. But
      in all that I hold in honor, and out of duty to the Church, to the
      Diocese and to all of you, it is certainly no joy, but rather an
      agony to state that I have no confidence in the leadership of His
      Beatitude, Herman. And with respect, and out of love and concern, I
      ask him to step down as the first hierarch of the Orthodox Church of
      America in order to assuage the suffering of the Church and her
      people."

      The address was met with a standing ovation by the assembled
      delegates.

      In addition the delegates began deliberations on three resolutions
      related to the OCA scandal. These include a 'No Confidence'
      resolution in Metropolitan Herman's leadership from Holy Trinity
      parish in Overland Park Kansas; a resolution from St.Paul parish in
      Dayton Ohio to continue withholding from Syosset until the
      established benchmarks are achieved in full; and a resolution from
      St. Thomas Springfield, Missouri that if Syosset has failed to
      achieve the established benchmarks within six months from September
      2007, the withheld monies may begin to be distributed throughout the
      Diocese where needed, "bypassing the National Church, and yet
      attending to the needs of widows, orphans, seminary students,
      mission that sadly have been ignored by the National Church these
      last years." The resolutions will be voted upon on Wednesday
      morning, October 3rd.

      - Mark Stokoe