Armenian Catholicos Visit Update: His Holiness Meets with Armenian School Students

  • Rev Fr John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2007
      <http://www.armenianchurchwd.com/80th> Western Diocese of the Armenian
      Church of North America

      <http://www.armenianchurchwd.com/images/newsletter/third.pontifical.visit.pn
      g>

      His Holiness Meets with Armenian School Students

      The procession of clergy accompanying His Holiness Karekin II entered the
      Kalaydjian Hall where anticipating students enthusiastically clapped in
      honor of His Holiness. Vehapar accompanied by the Primate and the other
      bishops, as well as the Vicar General of the Western Diocese, Very Reverend
      Father Dajad Dz. V. Yardemian, between 10:00 and 11:00 am, met with the
      students of the Armenian schools in the Greater Los Angeles area. There were
      representatives from the following schools: Manookian-Demirjian, AGBU
      Pasadena, Arshak Tigranian, Alfred and Margarita Hovsepian, Alec Pilibos,
      Ferahian, Mesrobian, Shamlian, Mertinian, and Sts. Sahag-Mesrob.

      The clergy from the Western Diocese were also present at the event, as well
      as the superintendents and teachers from the mentioned schools above. We
      would gladly announce that the students had researched and chosen their
      questions in advance for Vehapar through a competitive process in order to
      have the most fruitful Q&A session with the Catholicos.

      The Vicar General of the Western Diocese, Very Reverend Father Dajad Dz. V.
      Yardemian, who was in charge of organizing the event, addressing Vehapar,
      gave a warm introduction of the students, describing the students' vigor and
      effortlessness in learning our most precious mother-tongue, and absorbing
      the Christian faith and values and the precious heritage of our forefathers.
      The Very Reverend Father also explained the meaning of the word
      "Catholicos."

      The U.S. and Armenian national anthems were performed by students Meline
      Hambartsumian (singer) and Lusine Galstian (pianist), both from Alec Pilibos
      School. His Holiness was very pleased with the Q&A segment of the ceremony,
      answering the wide-range of question with candidness and sincerity.

      His Eminence Archbishop Hovnan Derderian welcomed Vehapar with a deep sense
      of appreciation, emphasizing the critical importance of His Holiness' Visit,
      hoping that we as the members of the Western Diocese will measure up to the
      expectations of His Holiness in terms of our faith and dedication to our
      Diocese the Church and the Community. His Eminence gladly announced that
      this had been the first meeting His Holiness had with the students during
      His Third Pontifical Visit. The Primate invited His Holiness to address the
      audience.

      Vehapar offered his blessing on the occasion of the 80th anniversary of the
      establishment of the Western Diocese. Then, Vehapar spoke of the importance
      of our youth and their proper education, and that the parents and educators
      bore a great responsibility in this regard. The clergy in the Western
      Diocese under the effective and exemplary leadership of His Eminence
      Archbishop Hovnan Derderian have played an impressively constructive role in
      the life of the community, Vehapar added, however that there was more needed
      to be done to secure a bright and faithful future for the youth of the
      community, as exemplary U.S. citizens who would ultimately benefit both the
      Diaspora, the Fatherland, Karabagh, and the Holy Etchmiadzin.

      The event was concluded when His Holiness offered the "Bahbanich"
      blessing-prayer. The students as well as all other participants received a
      prayer-book on the occasion of the 80th anniversary of the establishment of
      the Western Diocese.

      <http://www.armenianchurchwd.com/news/allImages/DSC_8890.JPG>
      <http://www.armenianchurchwd.com/news/allImages/DSC_8871.JPG>
      <http://www.armenianchurchwd.com/news/allImages/DSC_8907.JPG>
      <http://www.armenianchurchwd.com/news/allImages/DSC_8992.JPG>

      3325 North Glenoaks Blvd. Burbank, CA 91504
      Tel: (818) 558-7474 Fax: (818) 558-6333
      E-mail: info@...
      Website: www.armenianchurchwd.com

      <http://www.phplist.com>