Russian Orthodox Church Officially Honours the Saints of the British Isles

  • emrys@globe.net.nz
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2007
      The Whole Russian Orthodox Church
      Officially Honours the Saints of the Isles

      http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/stsisles.htm

      Today, Tuesday 21 August 2007, the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church
      has officially recognized the Feast of the Saints of the Isles.
      (See our Service to these Saints on this website under 'Hisperica
      Liturgica' - Western Liturgica). This Feast is in honour of the Saints who
      lived in Great Britain and Ireland before the Western Schism of 1054. This
      was when most of Western Europe tragically split off from the Church, thus
      founding Roman Catholicism and later the myriad of sects which grew up from
      this.

      The Feast will be observed, as it already has been for many years in
      parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia and elsewhere,
      on the third Sunday after Pentecost. The Synod has also decided that these
      Saints' names should be included in the Church Menologion, once their lives
      and exploits have been studied.

      The Synod's decision follows the appeal of 3 March 2007, when the Russian
      Orthodox Church in Great Britain and Ireland of the Diocese of
      Sourozh, petitioned His Holiness Patriarch Alexis II and the Holy Synod of
      the Russian Church to give official recognition to the Feast of the Saints
      of the Isles.

      Once again, we see how the work begun by the Synod of the Russian Orthodox
      Church Outside Russia (ROCOR) in New York is being completed in Moscow.
      First, in 2000, His Holiness and the Synod in Moscow recognized and
      completed the ROCOR canonization of the New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia
      of 1981. Now it is recognizing the Local Saints of the Western Lands, who
      previously had not been known or venerated in Russia, but had been venerated
      since the 1970s in ROCOR.

      This decision is clearly a historic turning-point. The Local Saints of the
      Western Lands now begin their entry into the calendar of the whole
      Russian Orthodox Church. This is a sign of the universalism or catholicity
      of the Russian Church. It is also, we must add, the recognition of our
      thirty-three years of unceasing struggle against both the forces of
      ecumenistic modernism and ritualistic conservatism. We well remember the
      persecution and mockery that we faced from both extremes in the 1970s, when
      there was virtually no sympathy for our cause. Later we recall how our
      writings on them had to be published at personal sacrifice, in order to make
      these Saints of God known. This is once more the victory of the royal path
      of moderation, victory over the spiritual death of extremes. We pray and
      hope that the Local Saints of other Western Lands will now also make their
      entry into the consciousness and calendar of the whole Church of Rus.

      God is wonderful in His Saints! Glory to Thee, our God, Glory to Thee!