European Ecumenical Assembly to be held in Romania

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2007

      30 August 2007, 15:46
      Third European Ecumenical Assembly to be held in Romania in the early September

      Moscow, August 30, Interfax - The Third European Ecumenical Assembly
      on the theme 'The light of Christi shines upon all - Hope for renewal
      and unity in Europe' will be held in Sibiu, Romania, on September 4 to 9.

      'We would like this assembly to answer many questions that challenge
      Christians in today's Europe,' the Department for External Church
      Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate secretary for inter-Christian
      relations Fr. Igor Vyzhanov told Interfax on Thursday.

      According to him, there will be 2,500 people attending the event.

      The assembly should become 'a place not only for saying splendid but
      useless words, but rather for elaborating a common strategy for
      Christians facing common challenges,' Vyzhanov said.

      He called the Sibiu 2007 'an Orthodox stage' of the inter-Christian
      dialogue since Romanian people are mostly Orthodox.

      The priest noted that there have already been meetings in Rome in
      January 2006 ('a Catholic stage') and in Wittenberg in February 2007
      ('a Protestant stage').

      Another important phase, he said, was a meeting of European, CIS, and
      Baltic church leaders in the late February 2007 in Moscow.

      This meeting revealed that 'most Christian bodies of the former
      Soviet Union adhere to traditional values and healthy conservatism,' he said.

      The Third European Ecumenical Assembly is organized jointly by the
      Conference of the European Churches that unites mostly Orthodox and
      Protestant Christians, and the Roman Catholic Council of European
      Bishops' Conferences.

      So the assembly will embrace all European Christian denominations.
      'The meeting will be very representative and I wish our voice be
      heard in Europe,' the priest said.