Mississippi: Local Orthodox Church Prepares to Celebrate Transfiguration

  • mateliza@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2007
      Local Orthodox church prepares to celebrate Transfiguration

      By Rev. Matthew Jackson | Guest Columnist

      Rev. Matthew Jackson Because the American people are largely unfamiliar
      with the Orthodox Christian Church, many of our ancient traditions are not very
      well known. One of the most meaningful, and beautiful, of these ancient
      customs has to do with the way a local church is named.

      We don’t name our churches after locations or roads; instead, our churches
      are named for important Christian people (saints) or events of the past. And
      on the Orthodox Christian calendar, every significant event from the life of
      Christ or the saints is remembered on a certain day.

      So for any particular church, one of the most important days of the year is
      what is know as its “patronal feast,” the day that it celebrates the feast
      associated with the naming of the local church. For instance, a Church of the
      Nativity of Christ would celebrate its patronal feast on Dec. 25.

      This day will not necessarily fall on a Saturday or a Sunday. The life of
      the Christian is filled with the presence and activity of God in every moment
      of every day. The Orthodox Christian calendar reveals this by celebrating
      various events every day; each day is important to claim and dedicate to
      Christ.

      Outside of Easter (Pascha), the patronal feast of a parish is its largest
      celebration of the year. The evening before the feast, the people gather in the
      church building for worship.

      The Orthodox Christian Church still remembers time in the way we hear it in
      the Scriptures — “And there was evening and there was morning, the first day”
      (Genesis 1:5b) — so our worship cycle begins in the evening.

      Psalms will be chanted, hymns will be sung, prayers will be offered, incense
      will be burned. The people are preparing themselves for the worship and the
      celebration that the next day will bring.

      On the morning of the feast, the people of God come together again for the
      Festal Divine Liturgy, a slightly more festive version of the typical morning
      worship of the Orthodox Christian Church. Again they will offer prayers and
      sing Psalms and hymns in the worship of Christ our God.

      The culminating moment of the Liturgy is the Holy Eucharist; the people
      approach the chalice and partake of “the body which was broken” (I Cor.
      11:23-25) and “the blood which was shed” (Matthew 26:27-28) on the cross for the
      salvation of mankind.
      Right here in McComb, this beautiful and ancient custom and worship will
      happen in just a few days. Our local Orthodox Christian church bears the name “
      Christ the Saviour,” and our patronal feast is the Feast of the
      Transfiguration of our Lord God and Saviour Jesus Christ. This is celebrated annually on
      Aug. 6.

      Our local congregation is made up largely of people who have come to the
      Orthodox Church from a variety of other faith traditions, searching for a place
      they can worship Jesus Christ. The Feast of the Transfiguration is not a
      feast that many traditions in America know very much about, but it is one of the
      central moments in the life of Christ in the teaching of the Orthodox
      Christian Church.

      The Transfiguration (found in Matthew 17:1-13, Mark 9:2-13 and Luke 9:28-36)
      is the point in His earthly ministry where Christ shows most clearly His
      true nature (outside of His glorious Resurrection), at the same time fully God
      and fully man.

      What a glorious realization, that our Creator God has joined Himself to His
      creation out of love and concern for our salvation. God became a human being
      so that all of mankind could share in the glory that He revealed on the Mount
      of Transfiguration. Glory to Jesus Christ!

      Services for the Feast of the Transfiguration will be held at Christ the
      Saviour Orthodox Christian Church 6 p.m. Sunday and 9 a.m. Monday. We are
      located at 500 Maryland Ave. in McComb.

      If you have any questions, please call 249-4488. Or visit us on the Web at
      _http://www.Christ-the-Saviour.org_ (http://www.christ-the-saviour.org/) .

      n n n

      The Rev. Matthew Jackson is priest at Christ the Saviour Orthodox Christian
      Church in McComb.

      From: _http://enterprise-journal.com/articles/2007/08/03/lifestyles/05.txt_
      (http://enterprise-journal.com/articles/2007/08/03/lifestyles/05.txt)

      St. George's Orthodox Church
      Rio Grande Valley of Tropical South Texas
      _www.stgeorgepantry.org_ (http://www.stgeorgepantry.org/)
      _http://matushkascorner.blogspot.com/_ (http://matushkascorner.blogspot.com/)