Pope, Russia patriarch meet looking more likely

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2007
      http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/world/20070807-0648-pope-orthodox-meeting.html

      Pope, Russia patriarch meet looking more likely

      REUTERS

      6:48 a.m. August 7, 2007

      MOSCOW – A first meeting between the Pope and the
      head of the Russian Orthodox Church is
      increasingly likely, a senior Vatican cardinal
      said on a visit to Moscow on Tuesday, after
      centuries of bitter rivalry between the churches.

      The eastern and western branches of Christianity
      have been split since the Great Schism of 1054
      and relations between the Vatican and the Russian
      Orthodox Church have been increasingly strained
      since the 1991 breakup of the Soviet Union.

      The Pope and the Russian Patriarch have never met
      although Catholic leaders have in the past met
      with Ecumenical Patriarchs, spiritual leaders of
      the worldwide Orthodox church based in Istanbul.

      'We are moving towards this aim,' Russian news
      agencies reported Cardinal Roger Etchegary as
      saying after meeting Patriarch Alexiy II. 'The
      steps are speeding up but we cannot say exactly when it will happen.'

      Etchegary is President of the Pontifical Council
      for Justice and Peace and Vice-Dean of the College of Cardinals.

      In June another high-ranking cardinal said a
      meeting between the heads of the two churches would happen within a year.