Ancient Assyrians alive!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31 8:22 PM
      http://www.centralchronicle.com/20070731/3107303.htm

      Eagle's Eye: Ancient Assyrians alive!

      The Assyrians literally believe in one passage in the Bible which
      says, "In that day there shall be a way from Egypt to the Assyrians
      and the Assyrian shall enter into Egypt and the Egyptian to the
      Assyrians and the Egyptians shall serve the Assyrian-

      I nearly fell out of my chair when I stumbled over a tiny piece of
      news about the fact that August 7th is declared as the Memorial Day
      for Assyrian Martyrs. Assyrians? Surely somebody is pulling my leg or
      its April fool's day. Assyrians as a people died out millennia ago
      and for a press release coming out commemorating August 7th as
      Martyr's day for them sounded a total joke to me. After I had managed
      to drag my carcass up from the floor, collected my jaw and settle
      down my oculars, I went digging into this strange and interesting
      news-story which I thought I would share with you dear readers. Here
      is what I found out.

      There are approximately 1.8 million Assyrians scattered around the
      globe, but mainly in Iraq, USA and Syria. Previously inhabiting a
      swathe of territory ranging from Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Iran and bits
      of the Caucuses, genocide and ethnic cleansing meant that a lot of
      them have emigrated to other countries. The link to the ancient
      Assyrians seems to be a bit weak and not very clear, but I suppose it
      is very difficult to establish it either way, even with DNA testing.
      What is interesting is that these modern day Assyrians have a
      different culture, language and religion to their Iraqi, Kurdish,
      Iranian and Syrian neighbours.

      The language spoken by the Assyrians is Aramaic. If one is a movie
      goer or follows the tinsel-town news, one would know that Mel Gibson
      recently made a film about Jesus and used Aramaic in this film.
      Historians posit that the language of Jesus and the early Christians
      was Aramaic. Of course, any language would change over the course of
      couple of millennia, but it is apparently still heavily related to
      its roots of ancient Aramaic. The current day language borrows from
      Hebrew, Arabic, Syriac and Akkadian languages. The religion which
      they follow is Christianity and they follow the Chaldean Church of
      Babylon in Iraq, the Assyrian Church or Chaldean or Assyro-Chaldean
      Church in Syria and Church of the East in Iran. There seems to be
      some confusion but the Syrian Orthodox Church who also consider
      themselves as Assyrians or Arameans. Be that as it may, these are
      minor details. There has been much to'ing and fro'ing between the
      Roman Catholic Church of Rome with some elements of the Church of the
      East becoming catholic, while others have maintained their own unique
      church, liturgy and theological aspects.

      An interesting aside, the Assyrians literally believe in one passage
      in the Bible which says, "In that day there shall be a way from Egypt
      to the Assyrians and the Assyrian shall enter into Egypt and the
      Egyptian to the Assyrians and the Egyptians shall serve the Assyrian.
      In that day shall Israel be the third to the Egyptian and the
      Assyrian: a blessing in the midst of the land, Which the Lord of
      hosts hath blessed, saying: "Blessed be my people of Egypt, and the
      work of my hands to the Assyrian: but Israel is my inheritance."
      (Isaiah 19:23-25)." This has been repeated in many Assyrian websites
      and mailing lists, it is an article of faith for them. Egypt is their
      promised land and between Egypt and Israel, the Assyrians will be the
      lord and masters. Now the situation in the Middle East is difficult
      and convoluted enough to attempt to understand without bringing in
      more complexity like this.

      Imagine me writing an alternative history of the region, or a fantasy
      tract. And then we have these Assyrians coming over the hills (or is
      that the Golan Heights?) and sweeping the Israeli's and Egyptian
      border pickets and armies away, the respective armies melting away
      and a new Assyrian state is born in this region. Many have created a
      state in this area comprising of Israel major and Egypt in the past,
      such as the Romans, Ottomans, etc but this one should be good and
      interesting. It will really set the local politics alight. I wonder
      what will happen to the various other 'promised land theories'?
      Actually, here's a theological quandary for you, if the God of the
      Christians, Jews and Muslims is the same, how did he manage to
      promise the same few kms of land to so many different people?