Monastery of the Transfiguration annual pilgrimage August 5-6

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2007
      http://www.oca.org/News.asp?ID=1288&SID=19

      Monastery of the Transfiguration annual pilgrimage August 5-6

      Article posted: 7/17/2007 1:46 AM
      Printer Friendly Format

      ELLWOOD CITY, PA [OCA Communications] -- The Monastery of the
      Transfiguration here will be marking the 40th anniversary of its
      establishment and Mother Christophora's 20th year as abbess during
      its annual pilgrimage August 5-6, 2007.

      "Having been blessed to live our monastic life for some years now in
      Ellwood City, we can see how the vision of our founders has begun to
      bear fruit," said Mother Christophora. "Knowing what a spiritual
      wealth can come from monasticism, they offered their lives and
      efforts to bring this dream to the American land. Monastics, clergy,
      and laity have labored side by side and the monastery is deeply
      appreciated by many: young families who come for spiritual retreats;
      parishes who make pilgrimages; college classes who come to inquire
      about this ancient faith and way of life; students who come to
      worship in song and activity; and our single friends who come to
      deepen their own lives of prayer."

      His Beatitude, Metropolitan Herman and His Eminence, Archbishop
      Nathaniel of Detroit and the Romanian Episcopate, will preside at the
      pilgrimage services. Other visiting hierarchs and clergy will also be
      in attendance.

      On Sunday, August 5, the Vigil of the Great Feast of the
      Transfiguration will be held in the monastery chapel at 5:00 p.m.
      Refreshments will follow.

      On Monday, August 6, the greeting and vesting of Metropolitan Herman
      will begin at 9:30 a.m, followed by a hierarchical procession to the
      outdoor Saint Elizabeth the Grand Duchess chapel for the 10:00 a.m.
      Divine Liturgy. At noon, lunch will be served. Pilgrims are invited
      to enjoy the monastery grounds, and to shop in the store.

      The Service of Holy Unction will be celebrated at 2:30 p.m., with
      anointing of pilgrims.

      The nuns welcome everyone to join them in marking these important
      milestones. For further information or a list of area hotels, call 724.758-4002.