Archbishop Demetrios of America Inaugurates Special Teacher Training Seminar

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2007
      http://www.goarch.org/en/news/releases/articles/release9909.asp

      Archbishop Demetrios of America Inaugurates
      Special Teacher Training Seminar and Meets with
      Religious and Political Leaders in Cyprus

      July 5, 2007

      Cyprus – His Eminence Archbishop Demetrios,
      Primate of the Greek Orthodox Church in America,
      today opened a special Teacher Training Seminar
      at the University of Cyprus at the invitation of
      the Republic’s President Tassos Papadopoulos.

      “It is with great joy that I welcome His Eminence
      Archbishop Demetrios to our campus,” said Dr.
      Stavros Zenios, Rector of the University of
      Cyprus, “for you have always been an
      inspirational bridge of understanding and
      fellowship. I am pleased that this educational
      collaboration will provide a way for our school
      to extend itself beyond the limits of Cyprus.”

      “This is a very special educational program that
      begins today,” said Archbishop Demetrios in his
      opening remarks at the University’s newly
      constructed auditorium. “It is a noble attempt
      between Cyprus and the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese
      which I anticipate will enhance the instruction
      of the Greek language to 2nd and 3rd generation
      English speaking students in America.”

      This, the second visit of the Archbishop to
      Cyprus, also included a number of noteworthy
      meetings with religious, political and educational leaders.

      On Tuesday, July 2, Archbishop Demetrios attended
      an award ceremony in honor of former U.S. Senator
      Paul Sarbanes (D-MD) and former U.S. Congressman
      John Brademas (D-IN) at the Presidential Palace.
      As it is known, Sarbanes and Brademas played a
      leading role in Washington in support of Cyprus'
      rights and particularly in the implementation of
      a military embargo on Turkey after the Turkish
      invasion of Cyprus in 1974. Prior to the
      ceremony Archbishop Demetrios met privately with
      His Beatitude Archbishop Chrysostomos of Cyprus
      and Mr. Tassos Papadopoulos, President of Cyprus.

      The four-day visit of Archbishop Demetrios began
      with a meeting with Archbishop Chrysostomos of
      Cyprus who later hosted a luncheon in honor of
      Senator Sarbanes and Congressman Brademas. The
      Archbishop also met with Mr. Demetris
      Christofias, the President of the Parliament of
      Cyprus, Mr. Dimitrios Rallis, the Ambassador of
      Greece, and Mr. Ronald, L. Schlicher, the U.S.
      Ambassador to Cyprus. A number of important
      religious, political and cultural issues were discussed.

      A highlight of the Archbishop’s visit to Cyprus
      will be a concert, scheduled for this evening, by
      the Metropolitan Youth Choir of the Greek
      Orthodox Archdiocese of America. The recital
      will take place in the Presidential Palace and is
      hosted by Mrs. Fotini Papadopoulos, the wife of
      the President of Cyprus. The choir, comprised of
      forty children from parishes of the Direct
      Archdiocesan District of New York, will offer
      Greek and Cypriot liturgical hymns and ethnic
      songs. The concert will benefit financially the
      Organization of Greek Ladies Mana, a childcare
      center for working mothers, established in 1935 in Nicosia, Cyprus.

      Contact: Rev. Dr. Frank Marangos
      Tel.: 212.774.0244