Byelorussian Orth. primate re: clerical careers

  • Nina_Dimas_42
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2007
      http://www.interfax-religion.com/print.php?act=news&id=3123

      Byelorussian Orthodox primate suggests unusual condition for
      clerical careers

      Minsk, May 30, Interfax - Promotion of non-monastic clergy should
      depend on the number of their children, Metropolitan Filaret of
      Minsk and Slutsk opines.

      `We tell our priests that they should have more children. If you
      want to become archpriest, have five kids,' Metropolitan Filaret
      told journalists in Minsk before the opening of a conference on
      demographic security.

      He said he was `very much concerned' about high number of abortions
      in Byelorussia. Many women who come to confession have had
      abortions. `They should understand that abortion is a disease,'
      Metropolitan Filaret said.

      However, Byelorussian Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Kosinets said
      that the number of abortions has reduces twice in Byelorussia during
      the previous five years.

      Still, he confessed that today abortions are not legally restricted
      in Byelorussia.