Re: Hawaii Greek Orthodox priest removed for immoral activities.

  • Sl Angelsky
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8 1:43 PM
      Article posted by Yuri Nelson:

      Greek Orthodox priest in Hawaii removed for Adultery
      and Abuse.

      A Greek Orthodox priest from the SS. Constantine and
      Helen Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Pacific was
      recently removed for sexual indiscretions unbecoming
      an Orthodox priest.

      The priest, Fr. Nicholas Gamvas, was recently removed
      from his post at the Honolulu Greek church for immoral
      activities with a married staff member. According to
      sources close to the parish, Fr. "Nick" became a
      tyrant, he physically threatened several members of
      the Greek church council and demanded several pay
      raises. Fr. Nick, a divorcee, eventually was paid by
      the parish a salary amounting to $120,000 a year. Fr.
      Nick cut down on his liturgical service schedule while
      at the same time increasing his vacation holidays.

      The new bishop, +Gerasimos of the Greek Archdiocese
      traveled to Hawaii after hundreds of complaints were
      filed against the priest. When cornered on these
      issues, Fr. Nick sarcastically retorted, "I am not a
      monk, I can sleep with whomever I want!" A call to
      the diocese was not returned.

      An unnamed member of the parish council was quoted as
      saying, "he's a martial artist, we were very afraid of
      him, what kind of priest threatens people." Fr.
      Gamvas reportedly has a black belt in a Japanese
      Martial Art.

      The church has reported that they have been hit hard
      by the scandal, people have left the church and they
      have not received the expected contributions they were
      awaiting. A reduction of 55% in donations and
      contributions to the church have hurt the parish in
      ways, they say, will take years to recover from. "We
      are down over 50 percent because of this man, we may
      not be able to pay the bills because of him!"

      Fr. Nick Gamvas was transferred to Canton Ohio, where
      he serves at the St. Haralambos' Greek Orthodox
      Church.