Restorer Preparing for Easter

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2007
      http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=6332228&nav=menu158_2

      Restorer Preparing for Easter

      Thursday, April 5, 4:35 p.m.
      By Sarah Buynovsky

      Charles n' Mary Restoration in Duryea is bustling this time of year
      and it's all because of the upcoming Easter weekend.

      In his workshop, David Hurst repairs all kinds of things, but mostly
      things you would find in churches.

      "Bishops' croziers, chalices, patents, collection plates all the way
      down to baptismal candles and fonts," Hurst said.

      This time of year, right before Easter, is his busiest time of the
      year. He's frantically working to repair things for weekend church
      services and Masses.

      "Everybody seems to be, you know, seems that they need everything for
      Palm Sunday and if we can't do Palm Sunday they will do it for the
      weekend, so yes, we've been very busy," Hurst added.

      He recently delivered a chalice to Father Joseph Martin at the Holy
      Resurrection Orthodox Cathedral in Wilkes-Barre.

      Father Martin said having it cleaned up and ready for the weekend is
      so important.

      "All people at their homes always get ready for the holidays and it's
      my feeling and the feeling of the parishioners here that the house of
      God should also be ready. That means in addition to the cleaning, the
      chalices and other things should be fixed," said Father Martin

      Hurst is working to fix a tabernacle for a church in Shenandoah and a
      crucifix for a church in New York state.

      He said he will work 12 hour days until Easter Sunday.

      "I hope that when I get to the pearly gates I get an express pass,"
      Hurst said, laughing.