Alexy II: Talks with Pope possible after rifts...

  • mateliza@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2007
      Russia & CIS
      07:32 GMT, Apr 03, 2007 _Latest Headlines..._
      (http://www.interfax.com/3/News.aspx)
      Talks with Pope possible after rifts with Vatican healed - Alexy II
      MOSCOW. April 3 (Interfax) - Orthodox believers and Catholics share

      many positions and a meeting with Pope Benedict XVI in the future should

      not be ruled out, Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia said.

      " I have not lost hope that relations between our churches will

      improve. I welcome Pope Benedict's statements about the desire to

      promote relations with the Orthodox Church made on any occasions

      following his election as head of the Roman Catholic Church," Alexy II

      said in an interview published by the Izvestia newspaper on Thursday.

      We have a common position "on many problems facing the world today.

      We can and must speak jointly to the world about Christian values. But

      prior to this, we must resolve problems that exist between us. This, I

      hope, will open the door to a meeting between the leaders of the two

      churches," he said.

      A meeting with the late Pope John Paul II was due to be held in

      1997 in Graz, Austria, at which a joint statement was to be signed

      "condemning proselytism and rejecting the Uniate church as a way towards

      the churches' unification."

      "The Catholic side's abrupt renunciation of these provisions made

      the meeting senseless," Alexy II said.

      sd la

      From: _http://www.interfax.com/3/257351/news.aspx_
      (http://www.interfax.com/3/257351/news.aspx)

      St. George's Orthodox Church
      Rio Grande Valley of Tropical South Texas
      _www.stgeorgepantry.org_ (http://www.stgeorgepantry.org/)
      _http://matushkascorner.blogspot.com/_ (http://matushkascorner.blogspot.com/)