World Russian People's Council rebukes attempts to divide Church

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2007

      07 March 2007, 16:38
      World Russian People's Council rebukes attempts to divide Church

      Moscow, March 7, Interfax - It was stated at the XI Congress of the
      World Russian People's Council that ended on Wednesday in Moscow that
      it is unacceptable to make attempts to divide the Church.

      "We should clearly and loudly accuse those who under the cover of
      care about the Church and the State benefit are trying to divide the
      Church along ethnic, political, culture and social lines, to turn
      differences into dangerous clashes," a resolution of the council reads.

      "We do not need divisions neither on the left, nor on the right. We
      need a united Church that upholds the Motherland in the world and
      leads Orthodox people to a divine Motherland," participants of the
      forum stated.

      Participants hail the unification of the Moscow Patriarchate and the
      Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, which will become "an
      important landmark in overcoming the tragic division of people
      brought about by the Revolution and the Civil War."

      The Council "resolutely resents the interference of politicians in
      the life of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and its pushing toward
      spiritual division from the Russian Orthodox Church."

      "Moscow, Kiev, Chisinau and Minsk should consider themselves as
      unique centers of the single Church and the united powerful
      civilization, on behalf of which they can speak with any
      international centers of power head-on. That is why it is very
      important that each center remain itself, and develop ties with other
      capitals of our united spiritual space," the resolution reads.