Orthodox civilization must fully participate in international processes

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2007

      07 March 2007, 11:36
      Orthodox civilization must fully participate in international
      processes - Russian Orthodox Church

      Moscow, March 7, Interfax - The Orthodox faith should become a
      full-fledged basis for the Russian political culture, the vice-chair
      of the Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow
      Patriarchate Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin opined.

      'I am sure that our Orthodox civilization may base its participation
      in global processes on its own convictions, and may also become a
      fundament for us to pursue an equal dialogue with a broader world and
      other civilizations,' Fr. Vsevolod said at a section of the 11th
      World Russian People Council, which is being held in Moscow now.

      According to him, in the modern world the Orthodox civilization 'is
      able and should develop some international instruments of its
      existence' in order to influence global political institutions'
      decision making and elaboration of the international law norms.

      Ideological neutrality of the state is 'rather mythical than real
      now' as the modern Western society is 'ideologized' and often 'values
      the idea more than the human person,' Fr. Vsevolod said. That is why
      the very issue of religiously neutral state is misleading and
      'intends to clear the way for other ideologies,' he added.

      'So the Orthodox tradition has full right to demand ideological
      preferences from the state, and the society may demand having their
      ideological preferences reflected by the state policies,' he noted.

      Unity of the people and authorities is natural for the Orthodox world
      while ideas of economical and political competition or 'dirigible
      conflict' give way to the consolidation of the society, he said.

      'The authorities should acknowledge their unity with the society
      while different parts of the society are also called to mutual
      accountability. This ideal unity is a far more powerful imperative
      for our national self-awareness than the talks about an unavoidable
      social conflict,' Fr. Vsevolod opined.

      Therefore a government model optimized for the Orthodox civilization
      shall harmonically combine a personified rule and a popular
      participation in both political and ecclesiastical decision making in
      its traditional forms,' he said.

      'Mutual humbleness and readiness to give up one's own interests
      constitute the ideal acknowledged in our ascetic and patristic
      writings. Our history is full of examples of persons and groups
      self-restricting to achieve common goals,' he noted.

      According to him, within the Orthodox civilization 'the economical
      policies should be subject to the ideal of human salvation,' and
      state and society should 'ideally pursue a spiritual mission.'