Ilya II, head of Georgian Orthodox Church, visiting Russia

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2007
      http://www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2.html?NewsID=11300994&PageNum=0

      Ilya II, head of Georgian Orthodox Church, visiting Russia

      02.03.2007, 16.07

      MOSCOW, March 2 (Itar-Tass) -- The consolidation of relations between
      the Russian and Georgian churches is a guarantee of the preservation
      of friendship between our two nations, Alexy II, Patriarch of Moscow
      and All Russia, said at a meeting with Ilya II, head of the Georgian
      Orthodox Church, here on Friday.

      The meeting was held in the St. Daniel Monastery. "The consolidation
      of the pacifying, beneficial impact of the Church, which brings
      spiritual revival to the people, is the foundation of our hope for
      the future, for the well-being of Georgia, for accord between its
      public forces, for unbreakable and eternal friendship between our
      nations," said Alexy II. "Our contacts, started many years ago,
      remain frequent and cordial."

      Alexy II reminded that Ilya II had taken part in the World Religious
      Summit in Moscow in July 2006. It had been confirmed that time that
      "we hold similar stands on the problems facing humanity today."

      The Patriarch said as well that "despite all changes in the political
      situations, all the ups and downs in present-day inter-state
      relations between Russia and Georgia, traditional close relations
      between our churches, between all believers, continue to be most
      friendly and fraternal."

      "We believe in the spiritual force of the peacemaking activities of
      the Church," he stressed. Alexy II welcomed the sciences and the
      cultural personalities who accompany Ilya II in his visit to Moscow.
      "We praise the contribution made by the Georgian public both in
      Georgia and in Russia in the preservation of our common cultural
      heritage, which brings our nations closer together," Alexy II said.

      On Friday night the Georgian delegation, led by Ilya II, will take
      part in the presentation of the 13th volume of "Orthodox
      Encyclopaedia", in which some articles deal with the history of
      Georgia and the Georgian Orthodox Church.

      Russian-Georgian relations are rather complicated today, and in this
      situation the visit of Ilya II to Moscow could be described as
      history-making. It is noteworthy that the Georgian delegation, which
      includes 60 people, came from Tbilisi by a special charter flight. It
      was the first flight over the past five months, after air traffic
      between Moscow and Tbilisi was interrupted late in 2006.