Church warns against ‘scientific’ experiments on programming human genotype

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2007

      06 February 2007, 13:08
      Russian Orthodox Church warns against 'scientific' experiments on
      programming human genotype

      Moscow, February 6, Interfax - The mysterious and unpredictable birth
      of a human being turned into development of a technological product
      threatens the ethical principles of our civilization, the Russian
      Orthodox Church reminds us.

      'Seeing in a child a technological product of our choice will lead us
      to a complete loss of the fundamental idea of the unique nature and
      sovereign dignity of every human being', Archpriest Nikolay Balashov,
      secretary for inter-Orthodox relations at the department for external
      church relations, said in a interview with the Moskovskaya Pravda daily.

      This was Father Nikolay's comment on the proposal of a medical center
      set up recently in the USA 'to program' a future child, that is, 'to
      order' its sex, appearance and gifts. Acting on the 'order' the
      center's staff will choose 'appropriate' cells and inject them in the
      mother for artificial insemination.

      'Taking this path, humanity does not understand the shocks we will
      have to face', the Russian Orthodox Church official noted.

      Humans' attempts to claim the role of creators reproducing themselves
      he believes will eventually lead to 'competition of products' in the
      market in place of what we have used to call human relations'.

      Some scientists questioned by the newspaper described these
      experiments as 'a pure swindle', 'PR campaign for artificial
      insemination' and 'unscientific fiction'.