Statement of UAOC Metropolitan Mykhayil....

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2007
      http://www.brama.com/news/press/2007/02/070206uaoc_ordination.html

      BRAMA, Feb 6, 2007, 9:00 am ET

      Statement of UAOC Metropolitan Mykhayil Regarding
      the Ordination of 'Traditionalist Catholic' Clergy in Ukraine

      New York — We are disheartened to learn of the
      ordination of priests and deacons in Western
      Ukraine, who follow the "Society of St. Pius X,"
      a movement which separated itself from the
      Catholic Church following the reforms of the
      Second Vatican Council, under the leadership of
      the late excommunicated French Archbishop Marcel
      Lefebvre. This movement, which until the last
      decade was confined to the Roman Rite, has now
      attempted to make inroads among the Greek
      Catholic faithful in Ukraine, who have always
      followed the Byzantine-Orthodox rituals and traditions.

      Using the misleading name of the "Society of St.
      Josaphat" this group appears to aim at gaining
      popularity among the Ukrainian faithful by
      perpetuating certain liturgical and theological
      sentiments, which are products of the Latin
      Church and belong to a different period of time
      and thinking. These practices, often termed
      "latinizations," have long been abandoned by the
      Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church and the entire
      Catholic communion as a whole, particularly since Vatican II.

      Such attempts at the latininzation of the
      Ukrainian church have historically, always lead
      to tragedy, disunity and ultimately, a loss of
      identity for our people as a whole. In our times,
      the focus of inter-church relations in Ukraine
      has been on greater unity which, with God's help,
      can eventually lead to a united Ukrainian Church,
      faithful to the liturgical, spiritual and
      theological heritage we have received from our
      ancestors in the faith. These things can only
      become reality by concentrating on what we hold
      in common as Ukrainian Christians, not
      introducing novel customs which are foreign to
      the Ukrainian ethos and identity.

      We have followed the movement of this group and
      its tactics inside Ukraine during the past decade
      and clearly see the confusion it can potentially
      cause for believers. Therefore, we support
      Cardinal Husar, Archbishop Vozniak and our
      brothers and sisters of the Ukrainian Greek
      Catholic Church in this time of latin
      traditionalist intrusion among the faithful in
      Ukraine. Likewise, we pledge our continued
      cooperation in fostering greater unity among
      Orthodox and Eastern Rite Catholics in Ukraine,
      praying for the day that God will grant our
      Motherland a united church, faithful to it's rich
      and particularly Ukrainian expression of the Eastern Christian faith.

      +METROPOLITAN MYKHAYIL
      (The Most Rev. Michael Javchak Champion, DD., MA Th.)
      Archbishop of New York
      Metropolitan of All America
      Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church