online

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2007
      http://www.dailyindia.com/show/111251.php/Saints-alleged-bones-for-sale-online

      Saint's alleged bones for sale online

      ST. PETERSBURG, Russia, Feb. 5 (UPI) -- The Russian Orthodox Church
      is outraged after a skull and bone supposedly belonging to St.
      Phillip showed up for sale online.

      The Russian Web site that had the relics up for sale described them
      as the "remains of an Orthodox saint, in good condition, with an
      inscription on the cranium confirming the saint's name," the BBC reported.

      The church called the advertisement immoral, but did not state
      whether it thinks the bone and skull are real.

      The item's seller, Boris Georgiev, told the BBC he was "acting on
      behalf a friend."

      Georgiev said that the 16th-Century relic was found along with the
      remaining pieces from the St. Petersburg Atheism Museum that was
      closed after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

      Before the church stepped in, the relics were not very popular. But
      since prelates voiced their indignation with the sale many people
      have called about the item.

      "My phone has been ringing all day today," Georgiev said. "But I have
      to disappoint potential bidders: The relic is no longer on sale. This
      morning, the owner called me to say she'd changed her mind."

      Copyright 2007 by United Press International