FW: THE ORTHODOX CENTURY

  • Rev Fr John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2007
      FROM "CHRISTIANITY TODAY," JANUARY 2007

      ++++++++++++++++++++

      Will the 21st Be the Orthodox Century?
      Fascination with the Great Tradition may signal deep changes for both
      evangelicals and the Orthodox.
      Bradley Nassif | posted 1/04/2007 08:50AM

      Jaroslav Pelikan, the late professor of history at Yale University, wrote of
      the Christian tradition on a scale that no one else attempted in the 20th
      century. Then after nearly a lifetime of studying the history of doctrine,
      Pelikan, a lifelong Lutheran, was received into the Orthodox Church, just a
      few years before he died last May at age 82.
      Related articles and links

      Pelikan is just one of a growing number of people who are joining the
      Eastern Orthodox Church. It makes me wonder if the 21st century will be the
      century of the Orthodox. Will there be a rebirth of the church's theological
      vision, if not its numerical growth? I'm not a prophet, nor do I want to
      evangelize evangelicals or reinvent Orthodox identity. But I would like to
      (a) offer a theological explanation for why I believe more and more
      Christians, especially evangelicals, may well be attracted to Orthodoxy in
      the 21st century, and (b) explain why more and more Orthodox need to become
      more evangelical.

      I haven't merely thought about Orthodox and evangelical compatibility; for
      most of my life, I have lived it. I'm a Lebanese American who grew up in the
      Orthodox Church of Antioch and was transformed by Christ during my high
      school days in Wichita, Kansas, through the leading of evangelical friends.
      I did my doctoral studies under the late Orthodox theologian Fr. John
      Meyendorff. A portion of my scholarship over the past two decades has been
      devoted to introducing the Orthodox tradition to evangelical students and
      faculty in North America. I've also pioneered dialogues between Orthodox
      believers and evangelicals, and I have spoken on the subject at World
      Council of Churches meetings in Egypt and Germany.

      Thus, I bring an intellectual and experiential knowledge of both
      communities, which is probably why I have a love/hate relationship with
      them. I'm not fully at peace with either one. Although I'm absolutely
      committed to the theological truth of the Orthodox church, I'm equally
      persuaded that we have not made that truth meaningful or accessible to our
      own parishioners or to those who peer inside our windows. And because of my
      Orthodoxy, I'm also committed to the evangelical faith.
      The Rebirth of Orthodoxy

      Scholars define the Great Tradition as the theological consensus of the
      first 500 to 1,000 years of Christian history (there is some disagreement on
      exact dates). This consensus encompasses the church's universally agreed
      upon creeds, councils, fathers, worship, and spirituality. Some key
      teachings and figures include the Nicene Creed, the Chalcedonian Definition,
      the works of Athanasius, the Cappadocian Fathers (Basil the Great, Gregory
      of Nazianzus, and Gregory of Nyssa), the spiritual writings of monks like
      Anthony of Egypt, and certain biblical commentaries and pastoral works.

      During the past two decades, mainline and evangelical scholars have
      rediscovered the creative relevance of the Christian East, with its
      insistence on the authority of the first 500 years of Christian teaching and
      practice. One recent sign of evangelical interest is Thomas Oden's The
      Rebirth of Orthodoxy: Signs of New Life in Christianity (HarperSanFrancisco,
      2002), in which Oden uses the lowercase o in order to embrace all Catholic,
      Protestant, and Orthodox Christians who adhere to the first 500 years of the
      Great Tradition. Oden sets forth six layers of evidence to show that there
      is, indeed, a widespread rekindling of "the orthodox spirit" at the dawn of
      the 21st century. These layers include:

      (1) Personal transformation stories. The lives of ordinary Christians and
      leading academics who have been dramatically changed by the testimony of the
      classic tradition, including Jaroslav Pelikan and Richard Swinburne, who
      became Eastern Orthodox, and Robert Wilken and Richard John Neuhaus, who
      joined the Catholic church.

      (2) Faithful scriptural interpretation. Patristic methods of exegesis are
      receiving more attention now than at any time during the previous century.
      They are fast becoming a core concern of biblical studies, as evidenced by
      the growing number of ancient translations and commentaries being made
      widely available by publishing companies such as InterVarsity, Baker, and
      Eerdmans.

      (3) The multicultural nature of orthodoxy. No modern multiculturalism is as
      deep or fertile as the ecumenical multiculturalism of antiquity. The
      cross-cultural richness of the early church is becoming increasingly evident
      today.

      (4) Well-established doctrinal boundaries. After decades of uncritical
      permissiveness in the church, we are now witnessing a renewed energy for
      drawing boundaries around questions of religious truth. Thousands of the
      faithful are together relearning how to say no to heresy on behalf of a
      greater yes for the truth of classical orthodoxy.

      (5) Ecumenical roots reclaimed. Confessing and renewing movements in
      Protestantism are changing local congregations and even entire
      denominations.

      (6) Rise of a new ecumenism. Actually, what we're seeing is a revival of the
      ancient ecumenical method of theological decision-making set forth by
      Vincent Lerins: "We hold to that which has been believed everywhere, always,
      and by all." Laypeople can easily grasp this, and they are doing so.
      Organically Connected

      The problem with the usual Protestant approach to the Great Tradition,
      however, is the gaps and inconsistencies in retrieval efforts. To many, the
      Great Tradition is like a library, a place you go to pick out the books you
      find most helpful. You can discard the ones that no longer seem relevant,
      while choosing the ones that have proven to be of lasting value.

      So what makes me think that this renewed interest in the Great Tradition may
      lead to more Christians joining Eastern Orthodoxy, or at least embracing its
      theological vision? Simply put, I think more and more people will recognize
      the vital relationship between the major movements and themes of Christian
      antiquity and the organic life of the Eastern Orthodox Church from whence
      these themes came.

      In two areas, especially, the Orthodox church has maintained its unbroken
      succession with Christian antiquity, and these areas are particularly
      attractive to an increasing number of Christians.

      Scripture. We all agree that the Spirit's witness through the Bible is the
      main criterion of the church's faith. Tradition simply witnesses to,
      safeguards, and corrects itself by the integrity of the biblical message.
      But it was the churches of the early centuries (both East and West) that
      decided, piecemeal, which texts constituted the canon of Scripture, by
      virtue of their apostolic origin and wide acceptance within the worshiping
      community. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the Spirit embraced
      the believing community through the choosing of the canon, rather than that
      the church chose the canon. Still, the canon was composed within the context
      of the believing community by members of the church. Scripture was never
      "external" to the believing community. This does not mean that Scripture
      owes its authority to the church, but that the Spirit was inseparably united
      to the church and its sacred texts. The church functioned as the mediating
      authority that bore witness to the work of God within it.

      So whether they are aware of it or not, every time evangelicals pick up
      their Bibles, they are relying on the historic church's judgment on the
      colossal issue of canonicity! Without acknowledging it, evangelicals
      validate the authority of the Spirit-led tradition in determining
      canonicity. That same Spirit-led tradition has governed the Orthodox church
      over the centuries.

      I believe an increasing number of people fascinated with the early church
      will see that the Spirit, the Bible, tradition, and real, historical,
      identifiable churches are inseparably united, then as now.

      Historical continuity. I imagine that the deeper evangelicals delve into
      church history, the less they will confine the meaning of "orthodoxy" to the
      first 500 or 1,000 years. They will come to embrace the "whole story" of the
      faithful, not just the parts they personally like. They will discover that
      the fullness of Christian orthodoxy does not end with a date in the history
      books, but lives on in what Georges Florovsky called "the mind of the
      church" and what John Meyendorff described as the church's "living
      tradition." Evangelicals will see that the theological and institutional
      history of the Great Tradition is directly tied to the Great Church<namely,
      the contemporary Orthodox churches of the Middle East, Greece, Russia,
      Eastern Europe, and their children in the West. They will recognize that
      today's "rebirth of orthodoxy" cannot do justice to classical Christian
      faith without keeping it connected to the church that most fully produced
      and inherited its achievements. Few will dispute the historical continuity
      between the modern Patriarchate of Antioch, for example, and the Book of
      Acts.

      Of course, faithfulness to the truth of the Great Tradition, not
      organizational continuity, is what counts most. My point is simply that
      those who value classical faith will increasingly engage with Orthodox
      churches, which incarnate the Great Tradition day by day as a living
      tradition. I'm not arguing that the Great Tradition is the exclusive
      property of the Eastern Orthodox Church. It is not. Early church fathers,
      mothers, ascetics, councils, creeds, art, music, and spirituality are the
      rightful heritage of all orthodox Christians<Catholics, Protestants, and
      Orthodox alike. There is no room here for Orthodox triumphalism or
      romanticism. All orthodox believers share a common ecumenical heritage. But
      few historians would dispute the conclusion that in comparison to the 20,000
      Protestant denominations in existence today, the Orthodox community can most
      justifiably claim to be the fullest heir apparent of the Great Tradition.
      Evangelical Orthodoxy

      At the same time, my evangelical passions prompt me to suggest that this
      renewed fascination with the Great Tradition may indirectly revive
      Orthodoxy. And if it doesn't, it should. Little by little, our parishioners
      are being touched by evangelicals who are rediscovering the creative
      relevance of the Christian East and repackaging it far more attractively
      than we have been doing for ourselves.

      But revival will not happen automatically. Dialogue at the local church
      level will help, even if evangelicals learn more from the Orthodox than the
      Orthodox are willing to learn from evangelicals. The time has come for us
      Orthodox to rediscover the evangelical character of our faith on its own
      terms, not defined by using some form of the model of evangelicalism.
      Because of our maximalist vision of theology, our evangelical identity will
      look and act very differently than yours. I wouldn't exhort my Orthodox
      brethren to regain their evangelical focus as passionately as I do in
      lectures and articles if I didn't think they would respond, and thankfully
      they are doing so in increasing numbers.

      So I suggest that the Great Tradition of our Great Church cuts both ways,
      and we ourselves are judged by it! Even if the gospel is formally a part of
      the life of the Orthodox church, as we believe, that does not mean our
      people have understood and appropriated its message. "Catholicity" (i.e.,
      "the whole and adequate" expression of the faith) must be discerned and
      applied if the church is to be spiritually viable in today's world.

      More and more Orthodox, as they study the Great Tradition, are admitting
      that our leaders and laity don't have a mature grasp of their own faith.
      They recognize that the church isn't free from ethnocentrism or religious
      bigotry, that it hasn't contextualized its faith and liturgy in the modern
      world, and that it hasn't figured out how to relate to unchurched people in
      North America (its converts consist mostly of disillusioned believers from
      other Christian traditions). More and more Orthodox, as they explore the
      early church afresh, see that there are parts of its ancient liturgies that
      seem to have no biblical justification and that we cannot simply regard the
      Reformation and the last millennium in the West as nothing more than a
      sideshow.

      To be sure, there are countless cases of people whose spiritual lives are
      flourishing in vibrant Orthodox communities. Still, the most urgent need in
      world Orthodoxy is the need to engage in an aggressive "internal mission" of
      spiritual renewal and rededication of our priests and people to Jesus
      Christ. I know from experience that it's possible to be "religious, but
      lost." That's why all of us Orthodox<bishops, priests, and people<need to
      make the gospel crystal clear and absolutely central in our lives and in our
      parishes. We must constantly recover the personal and relational aspects of
      God in every life-giving action of the church. Naturally, if this happens,
      it will lead to a revival within Orthodoxy, which will cause the church to
      blossom in unprecedented ways.

      Yes, these predictions and exhortations are speculative; they may never come
      to fruition as I hope and imagine. And I admit that my commitment to an
      evangelical Orthodoxy predisposes me to hope like this. That being said, I
      still see signs that suggest that these two great expressions of the
      Christian faith, the evangelical and the Orthodox, are gradually coming
      together in vision, if not in worship, and that the 21st century may be
      known as the Orthodox century.

      Bradley Nassif is associate professor of biblical and theological studies at
      North Park University and is currently writing the Westminster Handbook to
      Eastern Orthodox Theology (Westminster John Knox, 2009). He is a member of
      the Antiochian Orthodox Church.