Patriarch made an ecumenical proposal to the Pope.

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=99239

      Date: 2006-12-01

      Patriarch Bartholomew I on the Papal Visit

      Interview With Orthodox Church Leader

      ISTANBUL, Turkey, DEC. 1, 2006 (<http://www.zenit.org>Zenit.org).-
      Benedict XVI's visit to the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople
      "is of incalculable value in the process of reconciliation," says
      Orthodox Patriarch Bartholomew I.

      In this interview with the Italian newspaper Avvenire, the patriarch
      revealed that he made an unexpected ecumenical proposal to the Pope.

      Q: What can you tell us about this journey?

      Bartholomew I: Above all, I must say that I truly thank His Holiness
      for his visit to us on the feast day of St. Andrew. It is a truly
      very significant step forward in our relations, and undertaken in the
      framework of a journey which has made, on the whole, a contribution
      to interreligious dialogue which I think is truly important.

      Q: You and the Pope have seen one another face to face several times,
      away from the cameras and journalists. What have you said to one another?

      Bartholomew I: His Holiness showed his benevolence to the
      patriarchate and its problems; for this reason we are truly grateful to him.

      It has been an opportunity to know one another better, including the
      cardinals of his entourage, with whom I think we have established a
      good friendship, and this also seems to me to be very important.

      We can truly say that this Thursday we lived a historic day, under
      many aspects. Historic for ecumenical dialogue and, as we saw in the
      afternoon, historic for the relationship between cultures and
      religions. And, obviously, because of all this, historic also for our country.

      Q: The addresses and common declaration you signed are "lofty" and
      compromising. Have you also spoken of the future?

      Bartholomew I: In this respect, I can say that I spoke with His
      Holiness of something -- something that we could do. I presented him
      with a proposal which I cannot now elaborate on, as we await an
      official response, but I can say that His Holiness was very
      interested and that he received it favorably.

      We hope it can be undertaken as it is directed to that ecumenical
      progress that, as we have affirmed and written in the common
      declaration, both of us are determined to pursue.

      Q: Why are you so determined?

      Bartholomew I: Unity is a precious responsibility, but at the same
      time a difficult one which must be assumed if it is not shared
      between brothers. The history of the last millennium is a painful
      "memory" of this reality.

      We are profoundly convinced that Benedict XVI's visit has
      incalculable value in this process of reconciliation, as, in
      addition, it has taken place at such a difficult time and in very
      delicate circumstances.

      Without a doubt, with the help of God we are offered the opportunity
      to take a beneficial step forward in the process of reconciliation in
      our Churches. And perhaps, with the help of God, we will be given the
      opportunity to surmount some of the barriers of incomprehension among
      believers of different religions, in particular between Christians
      and Muslims.

      Q: Earlier you also mentioned the importance of this for Turkey. Why?

      Bartholomew I: Being at the crossroads of Europe and Asia, this city
      and this Church hold a truly unique position to foster a meeting
      among modern civilizations. In a certain sense, Istanbul is the
      perfect place to become a permanent center of dialogue between the
      different faiths and cultures.