Media Release: A New Book by Local Author is Published

  • Rev Fr John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2006
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      NOVEMBER 3, 2006

      Local Orthodox Priest is Published

      "Living in the Eighth Day" a new book by Rev. Fr. John-Brian Paprock

      MADISON, WI - A unique collection of pastoral reflections and spiritual
      guidance from Eastern Oriental Orthodox Christian priest, Father John-Brian
      Paprock, is now available locally and over the internet. Father John-Brian
      Paprock is an American priest serving a multi-ethnic Eastern Oriental
      Orthodox Christian mission parish in Madison, Wisconsin.

      "Living in the Eighth Day" is written by American priest for a broad
      audience of believers and non-believers. The chapters are divided according
      to the year of holy seasons in the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church calendar
      and deal with issues of historic Christianity and dilemmas of modern
      society.

      Using snippets from everyday life - birthdays, bumper stickers, the sight of
      a rainbow - and church holidays across the year, Rev. Paprock brings the
      reader into Orthodox thought while keeping a firm grasp on life in
      contemporary America. His message is timeless and true, wherever and
      whenever it is read.

      Peter Farrington of the British Orthodox Fellowship says "What a wonderful
      book. I am reading through the chapters one at a time rather than reading
      them through all at once. The three I have read, and the others I have
      cheated and taken a quick look at are really enjoyable and helpful. I will
      try to integrate reading these chapters with my normal daily spiritual
      practices. I will certainly recommend this to others."

      Link to Publication: <http://www.lulu.com/transfiguration>
      http://www.lulu.com/transfiguration

      Here is the Table of Contents

      Season of Preparation
      6

      TAKING TIME
      7

      HOLY WEEK BEGINS
      9

      CHRIST IS RISEN!
      11

      PESAHA - EASTER
      12

      GOD'S TRANSCENDENT LOVE
      14

      HOSPICE LIFE
      16

      DEATH OF A CONVERT
      20

      CROSSROADS
      23

      AT THE ELEVENTH HOUR
      25

      Season of Holy Spirit
      27

      BIRTHDAYS
      28

      HOLY PENTECOST
      30

      IN PLAIN SIGHT
      33

      CONDUIT OF COMMUNITY
      36

      FATHER'S DAY
      39

      TRUE SELF
      44

      Season of Apostles
      47

      INDEPENDENCE DAY - USA
      48

      PRAYING TOGETHER
      52

      INHERENT UNITY
      56

      MIRROR
      59

      ILLNESS AND RECOVERY
      61

      LOOK BUSY
      64

      Season of Holy Mother
      68

      HOLY ASSUMPTION
      69

      OPPORTUNITY
      72

      TWO WAYS
      74

      NEEDING THE CHURCH
      76

      BOTH
      80

      Season of Holy Cross
      82

      CONSECRATED
      83

      CULTURAL COMPETENCE?
      85

      SKINS
      91

      GOD AND POLITICS
      94

      VISIBILITY
      96

      LIVING DEAD WOOD
      99

      Season of Consecration
      101

      SCARY, SCARY
      102

      FATE?
      105

      UGLINESS
      107

      MARKET FORCES?
      110

      WITH HEALING IN HIS WINGS
      113

      CHANGES
      116

      Season of Holy Light
      118

      AMERICAN CHRISTMAS
      119

      REDEEMING THE TIME
      122

      GIVING AND RECEIVING
      125

      TSUNAMI AND CHOICE
      127

      DESIGNED TO DO
      129

      WE ARE IN THIS ALL TOGETHER
      132

      Season of Preparation
      134

      HOW LONG DO WE PRAY TONIGHT? 135

      INTIMACY
      137

      TAKING UP THE CROSS
      139

      ABOUT AUTHOR

      Fr. John-Brian Paprock is the priest and vicar of Holy Transfiguration
      Orthodox Mission Parish which meets in the parish hall of St. Dunstan's
      Church (6205 University Avenue). It has been a parish of the Mission
      Society of St. Gregorios of India, Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church since
      2001. Fr. Paprock was ordained to the Orthodox priesthood in 1987 and
      continues to serve as a chaplain at area hospitals and hospice.

      Fr. Paprock is committed to community in a diverse society by participating
      in interfaith and ecumenical dialogue and service since the late-1980s,
      coordinating multi-faith events since the mid-1990s and working for
      multi-faith, multi-cultural competency in corrections and health care since
      the turn of the century.

      Fr. Paprock, along with his wife Teresa, wrote two books for Trails Media:
      Sacred Sites of Wisconsin and Sacred Sites of Minnesota. He will be serving
      on the second Sacred Sites International - Most Endangered Sites Review
      Board in 2007-2008, having served on the inaugural board in 2004-2005. He
      is a published and shown artist, photographer and writer. He lives in
      Middleton with his wife, Teresa and son, Christopher.

      Link to Publication: <http://www.lulu.com/transfiguration>
      http://www.lulu.com/transfiguration

      <javascript:PopupPreview('/author/display_thumbnail.php?fCID=426126&fSize=zo
      om_')> Living in the Eighth Day

      Living in the Eighth Day

      by Fr. John-Brian Paprock

      * Paperback: 142 pages

      * Download PDF

      * Publisher: Lulu.com

      * Rights Owner: Holy Transfiguration Publications

      * Language: English

      * ISBN: 978-1-84728-315-3

      Available in print locally at Madison Church Supply (820 S. Park Street,
      Madison, 608-236-1214) and other fine book stores.

      Special price is offered at Holy Transfiguration internet store $11.95
      <outbind://111/www.lulu.com/transfiguration> www.lulu.com/transfiguration -
      Each purchase helps the mission efforts.

      ABOUT LULU

      Founded in 2002, Lulu is the world's fastest-growing print-on-demand
      marketplace for digital do-it-yourselfers. Please see
      <http://www.lulu.com/> www.lulu.com for more information.

      # # #

      MEDIA CONTACT: Fr. John-Brian Paprock, <mailto:frjohnbrian@...>
      frjohnbrian@..., 608-236-9622, 608-836-6778