Archbishop Christodoulos addresses conference of NATO military priests

  • Fr. John-Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2004
      TODAY'S NEWS from http://www.3saints.com
      Prot. George Konyev February 5, 2004

      Archbishop Christodoulos addresses conference of NATO military priests

      Athens, 04/02/2004 (ANA) - Archbishop of Athens and All Greece Christodoulos
      addressed a conference of NATO military priests on Tuesday on the issue of
      the ''Creation of an environment of cooperation in a multireligious military
      community.''

      Archbishop Christodoulos referred to the wave of immigration being
      experienced by Europe following the fall of communism, as well as to the
      upsurge in xenophobia, saying ''I believe it is a mistake to place the
      Judaic world in the same sack. First of all, they are a people who have been
      living with us for centuries. They are a people who are not only
      participating but who have also contributed dynamically to all sectors of
      our culture. The Judeans are not victims of social exclusion. The Judean who
      comes to Europe is not an immigrant in the way and for the reasons that
      other peoples are. Therefore, whatever problems of cooperation we are having
      with Jews are due to anti-Semitism. If, therefore, we desire to consolidate
      an environment of cooperation with the Jews, all we have to do is to deal a
      blow at anti-Semitism.''

      He also spoke of the ''justification of interventions by NATO'', stressing
      that ''the justification of intervention must be explained every time and
      must be convincing. It must be convincing both for the peoples of NATO
      member-states and for the peoples of the countries in which intervention
      takes place.''