Church group to adopt poor village in Uttar Pradesh

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2006
      http://www.theindiancatholic.com/newsread.asp?nid=3688

      October 1,2006
      Church group to adopt poor village in Uttar Pradesh
      GHAZIABAD (ICNS) -- A Christian organization in the northern India state of
      Uttar Pradesh has announced that it would adopt an economically and
      socially backward village to educate poor children.

      The St. Thomas Orthodox Church Society, a social organization belonging to
      the Orthodox Church in India, will adopt a village in Ghaziabad district,
      that is adjacent t to India's capital New Delhi.

      Father P.A. Philip, chairman of the Society said that its decision to adopt
      a village in Ghaziabad stems from a recent survey the Church conducted. The
      survey said a large number of children in the area do not have educational
      facilities, and setting up schools are not part of the developmental
      priorities of the government.

      "We want to educate the poor children and provide infrastructure facilities
      to the village," the priest said.

      The St. Thomas Orthodox Church Society is celebrating its silver jubilee
      this year. Its members aid the Society will spend at least Rs.500,000 for
      education, socio-economic development and healthcare of the village every year.

      The society also sought cooperation from the district administration in
      identifying the most deserving village or area in Ghaziabad.

      "We feel it's our social responsibility as well as commitment to provide
      poor children and local people the basic civic, health and educational
      amenities free of cost," Father Philip said in a press statement.

      The society runs two schools in Ghaziabad with about 4,500 students. It
      also plans to organise a mega fete - Tarang 2006 - in Indirapuram, an
      upmarket area in Ghaziabad, to collect funds for the project.