The Jerusalem Declaration on Christian Zionism

  • Fr John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2006
      From: Worldwide Faith News (10-01-06)

      "THE JERUSALEM DECLARATION ON CHRISTIAN ZIONISM"

      Statement by the Patriarch and Local Heads of Churches In Jerusalem

      "Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children
      of God." (Matthew 5:9)

      Christian Zionism is a modern theological and political movement that
      embraces the most extreme ideological positions of Zionism, thereby
      becoming detrimental to a just peace within Palestine and Israel. The
      Christian Zionist programme provides a worldview where the Gospel is
      identified with the ideology of empire, colonialism and militarism. In
      its extreme form, it places an emphasis on apocalyptic events leading to
      the end of history rather than living Christ's love and justice today.

      We categorically reject Christian Zionist doctrines as false teaching
      that corrupts the biblical message of love, justice and reconciliation.

      We further reject the contemporary alliance of Christian Zionist
      leaders and organizations with elements in the governments of Israel and
      the United States that are presently imposing their unilateral
      pre-emptive borders and domination over Palestine. This inevitably
      leads to unending cycles of violence that undermine the security of all
      peoples of the Middle East and the rest of the world.

      We reject the teachings of Christian Zionism that facilitate and
      support these policies as they advance racial exclusivity and perpetual
      war rather than the gospel of universal love, redemption and
      reconciliation taught by Jesus Christ. Rather than condemn the world to
      the doom of Armageddon we call upon everyone to liberate themselves from
      the ideologies of militarism and occupation. Instead, let them pursue
      the healing of the nations!

      We call upon Christians in Churches on every continent to pray for the
      Palestinian and Israeli people, both of whom are suffering as victims of
      occupation and militarism. These discriminative actions are turning
      Palestine into impoverished ghettos surrounded by exclusive Israeli
      settlements. The establishment of the illegal settlements and the
      construction of the Separation Wall on confiscated Palestinian land
      undermines the viability of a Palestinian state as well as peace and
      security in the entire region.

      We call upon all Churches that remain silent, to break their silence
      and speak for reconciliation with justice in the Holy Land.

      Therefore, we commit ourselves to the following principles as an
      alternative way:

      We affirm that all people are created in the image of God. In turn
      they are called to honor the dignity of every human being and to respect
      their inalienable rights.

      We affirm that Israelis and Palestinians are capable of living together
      within peace, justice and security.

      We affirm that Palestinians are one people, both Muslim and Christian.
      We reject all attempts to subvert and fragment their unity.

      We call upon all people to reject the narrow world view of Christian
      Zionism and other ideologies that privilege one people at the expense of
      others.

      We are committed to non-violent resistance as the most effective means
      to end the illegal occupation in order to attain a just and lasting
      peace.

      With urgency we warn that Christian Zionism and its alliances are
      justifying colonization, apartheid and empire-building.

      God demands that justice be done. No enduring peace, security or
      reconciliation is possible without the foundation of justice. The
      demands of justice will not disappear. The struggle for justice must be
      pursued diligently and persistently but non-violently.

      "What does the Lord require of you, to act justly, to love mercy, and
      to walk humbly with your God." (Micah 6:8)

      This is where we take our stand. We stand for justice. We can do no
      other. Justice alone guarantees a peace that will lead to
      reconciliation with a life of security and prosperity for all the
      peoples of our Land. By standing on the side of justice, we open
      ourselves to the work of peace - and working for peace makes us children
      of God.

      "God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's
      sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of
      reconciliation." (2 Cor 5:19)

      His Beattitude Patriarch Michel Sabbah
      Latin Patriarchate, Jerusalem

      Archbishop Swerios Malki Mourad,
      Syrian Orthodox Patriarchate, Jerusalem

      Bishop Riah Abu El-Assal,
      Episcopal Church of Jerusalem and the Middle East

      Bishop Munib Younan,
      Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land

      August 22, 2006