MECC Unit on Education & Renewal/Youth Work & Study Camp in Egypt

  • Rev Fr John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2006
      The MECC Youth Program organized a Work & Study Camp for young people in
      Egypt from July 28 to August 2, 2006. The camp was hosted by the Greek
      Orthodox Women¹s Centre in Alexandria. 26 young men and women (with equal
      gender balance) from the different member churches and regions of Egypt
      participated in volunteer manual work (painting the fence of the school
      annexed to the Orthodox Center), as well as in discussions on the theme:
      "Youth and Awareness".

      The camp aimed at maintaining the Christian value of voluntary work. Campers
      discussed the theme of the camp in an ecumenical setting and from different
      perspectives: awareness of the Biblical interpretation, of what humanity
      requires from them, how can the will of God be discovered in one¹s life, and
      reflection on the story of the Good Samaritan. Bible studies and worships
      were held every morning and evening. The group used this opportunity to
      visit churches and monasteries, the main Library of Alexandria, and to meet
      with youth groups in the city.

      This is how some of the campers evaluated the activity: "This camp was a
      surprise to me. When I first registered to participate, I had some
      hesitation to meeting other people from other Christian denominations. I
      learned through this camp how to deal with others, and learned about their
      liturgies and prayers". (Martina Fathi ­ Greek Orthodox Church).

      "We worked together in a nice ecumenical spirit which I had never
      experienced before. I attended others¹ worships and I learned that I should
      be happy to see brothers and sisters from other denominations praying to God
      in a different way". (Raef Amir ­ Evangelical Church).

      "It was the first time that I participated in a meeting with representatives
      of the four families of churches. I learned and experienced a lot more than
      I expected. It was a time for me to reflect on my life in relation with
      others". (Amal Nageeb­Catholic Church). For more information please contact
      Youth Coordinator in Egypt, Ms Genevieve William at: jouna@...

      Middle East Council of Churches
      Office of International Ecumenical Relations P.O. Box 5376, Beirut, Lebanon

      Guirgis Ibrahim Saleh, General Secretary mecc@... or
      guirgissaleh@...

      +961-1-353-938
      http://www.mec-churches.org/