Madonna tour protested in Russia/Radicals spear Madonna poster

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2006
      http://story.northkoreatimes.com/index.php/ct/9/cid/dd8845aa60952db2/id/c80f10502ebb0b82/

      Madonna tour protested in Russia
      Big News Network
      Monday 4th September, 2006 (UPI)

      Hundreds of Orthodox Christians protested Madonna's upcoming Moscow concert
      and urged its cancelation because of a mock-crucifixion she performs on stage.

      The Michigan-born British resident has outraged religious groups across
      Europe by singing Live to Tell while hanging from a mirrored cross with a
      crown of thorns on her head.

      Her Confessions on a Dance Floor tour rolls into Moscow's Luzhniki stadium
      Sept. 12.

      Russian Orthodox and Muslim leaders have urged their followers to boycott
      the show but an estimated 40,000 of the 70,000 available tickets have
      already been sold.

      The protesters in central Moscow carried signs saying God Save Russia and
      With Belief in God, Freedom or Death!, RIA Novosti reported.

      Christian Revival Union leader Vladimir Osipov called the performer an
      American Satanist and the anti-Madonna, because her image was the complete
      opposite of the Virgin Mary's.

      I would like to see her abusing the religion of international bankers --
      she would have immediately been cornered and sent back to the streets, he said.

      http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/488120/826199
      Orthodox radicals spear Madonna poster

      Sep 5, 2006

      Members of a radical Russian Orthodox group speared a poster of US pop star
      Madonna on Monday and demanded a ban on her show in which she stages a
      mock-crucifixion.

      Tickets to Madonna's September 12 concert - part of her "Confessions"
      global tour - had been sold nearly two months in advance despite protests
      from Christian churches.

      The Orthodox Church has urged believers to stay away from the show, in
      which Madonna sings from a crucifix, wearing a crown of thorns, describing
      it as "blasphemy".

      Fringe Orthodox groups demanded the show be banned.

      "We will never allow her to desecrate our greatest icons. We demand to
      drive Madonna out of Russian territory," Leonid Simanovich-Nikshich, head
      of a group calling itself the Union of Orthodox Religious Banner Bearers,
      told about 100 supporters at a central Moscow square.

      "They say that Madonna is very rich, but what is all that wealth if a
      person has lost their soul?"

      Simanovich-Nikshich and a couple of supporters then speared a portrait
      poster of Madonna with a wooden pike, ripped it up, tossed the pieces on
      the ground and stamped on them.

      Supporters waved flags and banners. "Power to Christ. Death to the
      Anti-Christ," one banner read.

      The Vatican accused Madonna of blasphemy and provocation when she staged
      the mock crucifixion in Rome last month.

      Madonna has attracted accusations of blasphemy throughout her career. In
      1989 her hit song "Like a Prayer" featured burning crosses and statues
      crying blood.