The miracle-working icon of the Mother of God "Tikhvinsk aya" will visit St. Nicholas Cathedral
- TODAY'S NEWS from http://www.3saints.com
The miracle-working icon of the Mother of God Tikhvinskaya will visit St.
Nicholas Cathedral on March 12-14, 2004.
www.russianchurchusa.org - Dear Brothers and Sisters!
With the blessing of His Holiness Patriarch ALEXY the miracle-working icon
of the Mother of God Tikhvinskaya will visit St. Nicholas Cathedral on
March 12-14, 2004.
This visit will end its 55 years of stay in the United States. St. Nicholas
Cathedral will become the last Russian Orthodox church where the
wonder-working icon will be presented for veneration before she departs for
While at St. Nicholas Cathedral, the twenty-four-hour prayer services will
be offered before this holy and ancient image of the Mother of God. The
commemoration slips to be read during these services could be either ordered
at the Cathedral or mailed. Donation for one commemoration slip is $100.
The clergy, willing to serve molebens before the holy icon, should call:
According to ancient tradition, the wonderworking icon of Tikhvin is one of
several painted by St. Luke the Evangelist. The icon was taken from
Jerusalem to Constantinople in the fifth century, where it was enshrined in
the Church of Blachernae, which was built especially for this purpose.
In 1383, seventy years before the fall of Constantinople at the hands of the
Turks, fishermen on Lake Ladoga in the principality of Novgorod the Great
witnessed the icon miraculously hovering over the lake's waters amidst a
radiant light. Shortly after its miraculous appearance, the icon was
discovered in several neighboring towns, including the village of
Motchenitsy on the bank of the Tikhvinka River, before it finally appeared
near the town of Tikhvin. A wooden church dedicated to the Dormition of the
Theotokos was built on the site of the icon's final resting place.
In 1560, by order of Tsar Ivan the Terrible, a men's monastery was
established near the church and enclosed with a stone wall. Over the
centuries, the icon's fame spread far and wide. Copies of the wonderworking
icon began to adorn churches throughout the land. Some of these copies also
proved to be sources of miracles, and it was not uncommon to find the
faithful praying before the icon to seek healing for children who were ill.
During the World War II German occupation, the Nazis removed the icon from
the Tikhvin Monastery, from where it was taken to Pskov and subsequently to
Riga, Latvia. When the city was evacuated, Bishop John [Garklavs] of Riga,
in whose care the icon was placed, took the icon to Bavaria, where it was
venerated by Orthodox faithful who had been displaced because of the war.
While Soviet agents had spotted the icon, Bishop John was permitted to take
the icon to the United States in 1949, where it stayed at the Chicago
cathedral up until now. In 2003 the Orthodox Churches of Russia and the
United States have reached the agreement to return the icon to its