Coptic pope slams maverick cleric

  • Rev. Fr. John-Brian Paprock
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2006
      Coptic pope slams maverick cleric
      Mon Jul 24, 8:28 AM ET

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060724/wl_mideast_afp/egyptreligioncopts
      _060724122810

      The head of Egypt's Coptic Church has issued a stern warning to
      dissident bishop Maximus I and anyone who might be tempted to join
      the breakaway church he is trying to set up.

      "We do not recognise your prelacy nor your new name," Pope Shenuda
      III said in a message entitled "I am sorry for you, my son" and
      addressed to Maximus, whose real name is Max Michel on Monday.

      "We warn you against celebrating any sacrament, we consider the
      religious enterprise you are undertaking completely void and we warn
      the people against dealing with you," said the pope, whose message
      was quoted by the official MENA news agency.

      Maximus, who was ordained by the Old Calendarists -- a traditionalist
      Greek Orthodox group based in Nebraska -- has angered Shenuda by
      announcing plans to set up a rival church and speaking in favour of
      facilitating divorce and allowing bishops to marry.

      Maximus also charged that Shenuda's 35-year-old pontificate had been
      disastrous and accused the Coptic leader of inciting sectarian
      violence in Egypt.

      Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak has so far said that he does not
      wish to intervene in the affairs of the church.

      Copts make up between six and 10 percent of Egypt's 73 million
      population and are the largest Christian community in the Middle East.