"Cana" by the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

  • Rev Fr John Brian
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      _http://www.antiochian.org/water-of-cana_
      (http://www.antiochian.org/water-of-cana)

      THE WATER OF CANA IS TURNED INTO BLOOD
      By His Eminence Metropolitan PHILIP Primate, Antiochian Orthodox Christian
      Archdiocese of North America July 31, 2006

      Cana (modern spelling is "Qana") is a little village in South Lebanon
      which was blessed by the presence of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ,
      his Holy Mother and his disciples. Cana is the Village where Christ
      performed his first miracle by changing the water into wine at the marriage
      feast. (John 2: 1-11). Thus, Cana is deeply rooted in our Christian
      history.

      Unfortunately, in modern times and due to the conflict between Israel and
      Arab nations, including Lebanon, Cana has been the victim of Israeli
      aggression twice: once in April 1996, when an Israeli rocket killed 105
      Lebanese men, women and children. And second, on Sunday morning, July 30,
      2006, when an Israeli rocket killed 60 people, including 37 children. This
      indiscriminate killing is against the Geneva Convention, the United Nations
      Charter and all laws of civilized nations.

      This savage war is between Israel and Hezbollah. Lebanon has no air force,
      no navy and no large military force. As a matter of fact, the Lebanese
      army is not involved in this war at all. This war, then, is between Israel
      and Hezbollah. Why is Israel bombing Lebanese cities, villages, bridges,
      roads and killing innocent men, women and children - in the south and
      north, east and west of Lebanon? According to UN statistics, more than 800
      civilians have been killed, many of them children, and more then 800,000
      Lebanese have been made refugees in their own country. Israel knows very
      well where Hezbollah is. Why doesn't Israel fight Hezbollah on its own
      turf? Why is Israel bombing civilian cars, motorcycles and pickup trucks
      carrying food for hungry people and medical supplies for the wounded?
      Lebanon is a poor country; the
      devastated infrastructure will cost billions of dollars to rebuild.

      We deplore the killing and destruction on both sides. We know that
      Hezbollah has some weapons which are causing some unfortunate killing and
      destruction in Israel. But Hezbollah does not have American weapons such
      as F-16s, F-15s, Apaches and smart bombs, etc.. When I saw the Lebanese
      Red Cross retrieving the tender dead bodies of little children from
      underneath the rubble and I looked at their innocent faces and iconic eyes,
      I wept. I was indeed ashamed to see the extent of the cruelty and
      barbarism of our world. This morning, when the Lebanese Broadcasting
      Company showed pictures of the city of B'int-Jbeil which was completely
      leveled by the Israeli air force, I was reminded of the destruction of
      Stalingrad and Berlin during the Second World War. We and the whole world,
      with the exception of the United States, Great Britain, and Israel, are
      calling for an immediate cease fire. If we allow the law of the jungle to
      prevail, and if we allow our moral principles to be trodden on by barbarian
      feet, what will be
      left of our civilization?

      The behavior of Mr. Ehud Olmert in this war reminds me of the behavior of
      his ancestor of old, Joshua, recorded in the Book of Joshua 6:21. "And
      they (Joshua's army) destroyed all that was in the city (Jericho) both man
      and woman, both young and old, and ox, and sheep and ass with the edge of
      the sword."

      Thanks to Mr. Olmert, nothing is left in B'int-Jbeil except some starving
      dogs feeding on corpses.