Fwd: Patriarchate of Constantinople supports the Russian Orthodox Church

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2006

      16 June 2006, 15:55

      Patriarchate of Constantinople supports the Russian Orthodox Church Holy
      Synod statement concerning the Lutheran Church of Sweden

      Moscow, June 16, Interfax - Patriarch Bartholomaios of Constantinople has
      sent a letter to Patriarch Alexy of Moscow and All Russia, expressing
      agreement with the assessment given by the Russian Orthodox Church Holy
      Synod on December 27, 2005, to the decision of the Lutheran Church of
      Sweden to bless the so-called "same-sex unions".

      "By no means we approve but rather deplore the above-mentioned decision of
      the Church of Sweden", the primate of the Church of Constantinople stated
      in his letter.

      He also expressed hope that the Church of Sweden would "come to senses and
      rectify its erroneous decision as contradicting the will of God and the
      dogmatic teaching and truth of our Orthodox Church and the Christian ethics".

      At the same time, Bartholomaios stated that the Patriarchate of
      Constantinople would continue its dialogue with the Lutheran Church of
      Sweden "on social and theological level".