Russian Church Abroad must assess its history - Alexy II

  • arbible
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2006
      02 May 2006, 18:00 Russian Church Abroad must assess its history - Alexy II
      Moscow, May 2, Interfax - Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and All Russia said the history of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad "must" be studied in detail and objectively, which is "of importance."

      "Its history should be viewed from the canonical angle. But one must be aware that it's difficult to come to absolute and final unanimity while assessing all occurrences and historical figures. The whole truth can only be judged by God," the Russian patriarch said in an interview granted to the official website of the Russian Orthodox Church Aboard.

      It is even more difficult to judge about the path the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad has traversed from the canonical point of view, he said, noting that, "Too little time has passed and not at all facts have been revealed," he said.

      "Perhaps it would be important for the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad to cast a look back now that the era of atheism has ended in Russia, and to assess the road it has covered more fully. The Church's experience in Russia suggests that such processes do not pass overnight," Alexy II said.

      "As to relations of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad with the Church in Russia, I am convinced that what we need to do now is to find a way towards unity and joint witness in the spirit of Christian love and shared responsibility, instead of judging each other and generations of our fathers and forefathers," the Russian patriarch said.

      Alexy II denied reports that property claims could impede dialogue between the Moscow Patriarchate and the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.